Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Test drove a new 5.7 Doube-Cab Tundra today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03NHSilvy
Well take Dodge out of the fight then, since their profits eventually make it to Germany Seriously though, even if the Toyota and Nissan have foreign components on them, they are still built by Americans, they are transported by Americans, they are sold by Americans, and they are serviced by Americans. I'll always buy what I feel will work best for my needs.

Where do the profits go from Toyota and Nissan ?
Old 02-25-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback, Ive been wondering about the new 5.7 tundra.

Buy what works for you. These guys that think they are buying something American because it says GMC on the front need to wake up; then there are others who are blissful in their ignorance.
Too each his own
Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jeanyus
I only mentioned the Dodge/Germany link to make a point about how some people blindly follow the "buy American" mantra. I know Nissan and Yota's profits go to Japan, I don't care. Chances are (provided they don't really mess them up) my next truck will be a Frontier or Tacoma. Smaller truck does better off-road, some better (IMO) lift options, and both are 1000000x better than the Ranger or Colorado/Canyon.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboJohn6
I'm with you. If it says TOYOTA or NISSAN, it's not for me! They may be nice trucks but I still would rather buy AMERICAN. A truck that is made by an AMERICAN company.

Yea, Id rather support an american company too. But thats just me. I like to keep it the way it was. But thats also the reason I don't like wal-mart.

There are no arguements, Chevy will always be MORE american than the asian companies.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeanyus
Yes PROFITS from Nissan and Toyota go overseas, but americans make money building them. GM mostly builds out of country because its cheaper and the fat cat Americans can make more profit that way. So yes profits stay here, but americans dont profit.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Thanks for the feedback, Ive been wondering about the new 5.7 tundra.

Buy what works for you. These guys that think they are buying something American because it says GMC on the front need to wake up; then there are others who are blissful in their ignorance.
Too each his own
So if a guy buys a Chevy he' actually buying a foriegn car, and if a guy buys a Toyota he's buying an American car. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Tahoe was built in Texas, by Texans. It says so on the sticker in the door jam.

In spite of that, I still like it.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes alot of large SUV's are built in TX. For some reason the trucks arent. Go figure. lol
Old 02-26-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

My truck was built in Indiana...
Old 02-26-2007, 09:46 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota Tundra final production is either in El Paso, Texas, or Kentucky...as mentioned above, most GM and Ford stuff is built in Canada or Mexico where it can be built cheaply by foreigners...not Americans cashing those paychecks.

Hate to admit it, but I own a Chevy pickup that requires constant attention, and worked as a Toyota master tech for many years. I must say that the Toyotas are pretty bullet-proof and problem free. I had more problems with my truck the first year that I owned it than my mother has had with her Solara in eight years and my wife with her Matrix in four years, combined Just have to change the oil and rotate the tires periodically, and throw some filters at them every few k. I have a list of electrical repairs that I haven't had the time to fix on my truck....but, I still love my truck.

Quick Reply: Test drove a new 5.7 Doube-Cab Tundra today.