Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Test drove a new 5.7 Doube-Cab Tundra today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3

Hate to admit it, but I own a Chevy pickup that requires constant attention, and worked as a Toyota master tech for many years. I must say that the Toyotas are pretty bullet-proof and problem free. I had more problems with my truck the first year that I owned it than my mother has had with her Solara in eight years and my wife with her Matrix in four years, combined Just have to change the oil and rotate the tires periodically, and throw some filters at them every few k. I have a list of electrical repairs that I haven't had the time to fix on my truck....but, I still love my truck.
If you leave a GM full size stock-ish and use it as intended then it will require minor work over time. And for the record, most Solara-owners, Matrix owners, Tundra owners, etc aren't camming, tuning, cutting cats, or racing their rides.

The candle that burns twice as bright will burn half as long.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Made in South Korea

Originally Posted by SaintLos
If you leave a GM full size stock-ish and use it as intended then it will require minor work over time. And for the record, most Solara-owners, Matrix owners, Tundra owners, etc aren't camming, tuning, cutting cats, or racing their rides.

I guess you don't have a local scoin racing club,

I buy what puts food on middle class tables
Old 02-27-2007, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ghostcustoms
I guess you don't have a local scoin racing club,

I buy what puts food on middle class tables

You look like your providing lots of rice and sushi.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

A friend of mine works at the Toyota dealership here and he had a guy come in with like an 06 Vortec Max.. The guy told him to line them up and if the Tundra won he would buy one.. Needless to say the guy did not buy a Tundra..
Old 02-27-2007, 05:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SaintLos

FWIW, my truck gave me many, many problems before I modded it...and the items that are failing now are unrelated to the mods I have made. Also, we read a report at the dealer I worked at a few years ago that stated how Toyota dealers see 70% customer pay labor and 30% warranty, while GM is the exact opposite. At the time, Toyota's warranty was 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 drivetrain, while GM was 3/36 all around...that has to say something right there.

Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, but there's no denying how much "extra attention" it requires
Old 02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Teching In

First off , i don't work for any automobile company domestic or offshore. But I can assure you that we foreigners don't work cheaply up here. Get about the same rate of pay and benefits the you do.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ridnlow
A friend of mine works at the Toyota dealership here and he had a guy come in with like an 06 Vortec Max.. The guy told him to line them up and if the Tundra won he would buy one.. Needless to say the guy did not buy a Tundra..
I think it would be a good race but according to the Edmund's "Truck Comparison Test" the Tundra would spank him by almost a second.

Tundra (5.7L)- 1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 14.8 @ 93.7

Silverado (6.0L)- 1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 15.5 @ 88.1

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=384364
Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Beyond who makes em and where the profits go.....
I am on my 3rd new Silverado in 10 years and am about to order another in 2 weeks.
They have been reasonably trouble free, I drive them hard, mod them and tow.
The 97 had one shock and a tranny rear seal replaced by warranty. The 2000 had a front hub and a set of rear axle bearings done, the 04 I now have has has 2 inner tierods and a steeing rack done,[slight fluid leak]
I roasted the tranny in this truck too, but that's Radix joyrides for ya. That was not a warranty job.
I have driven and priced the new Toyota already , there are competitively priced, but I will still get a Chev.
Why, 6.0L and a little tuning will equal or better the toyota 5.7.
I am 6 ft tall and had to put my *** on the seat of the Toyota and pull myself up .
The Vortec Max has better tranny and rear end than the 5.3 and should hold up.
I drive 2wd trucks and the toyota does not come in a ext cab, short box layout,
you gotta get an 8ft box in a 2wd drive extcab which I don't wamt.
I am not crazy about the looks of the Toyota anyway, Chev Ltz interior is awesome .
There are lots more mods for the Chevy as well.
My history with Gm quality has been good

So, for me, if I am going to buy on the merits of the truck, Chevy still wins
Old 02-28-2007, 03:43 AM
On The Tree

Looks like good news for all the GM haters. GM stock just dropped almost 5% yesterday. Some experts supect foriegn stock holders of dumping thier stocks to drive the values down. This hapened to several AMERICAN companies. Does anyone want to comment on how driving a foriegn car is putting food on the tables of the AMERICAN middle class.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

the whole market crashed yesterday...

Quick Reply: Test drove a new 5.7 Doube-Cab Tundra today.