Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Think I struck a nerve on DTW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont understand why all of these dodge guys always want to race someone it seems to me like they are always trying to race and speed on the streets of Houston. I dont know if you guys have noticed.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LTNKLR01
Why cant I find any big mouth HEMI owners up here in Mass or NH???? I would love to show them what a REAL truck can do!!!!!

14.82 at 92mph with a FM 50 and nothing else done to the truck, almost 4800# with me driving it, regular cab, short wheel, single tire fire 3.55 geared truck. It beat 2 stock chevys that raced at a get together, tons of nice guys, lots of good racing, and times that were close.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

I haven't ran mine but a few times at the track, and that was all stock except the heads, it did a 15.1 on its best run that day, it was hot as heck and the humidity was so high it was unreal. We had one hemi ram guy there thats normally in the 13s with a shot of NOS that only did a 14.5 that day due to humidity. Since then I've added custom exhaust system, updated tranny flash and it helped a ton changing the shift points, spring clamps and a few other simple tricks. I'm probably around 14.?? or so I'm guessing, but with the help of an old bottle here soon I hope I can pull it into the 13s. On Rampants heads Gonzo he went overboard on the port (max) and it did put it to lean, but its sitting at Va. Speed now getting a piggy to correct that and a possible extra injector. He is suspose to dyno on Monday to see his results, and I'll let you all know. We talked to a guy that I hate to call his name or his shops name, but they just went big with paxton I'll tell you that much, anyway they did a few grinds on some factory cams and the computer went nuts not accepting it, maybe later. On my heads, I did just a basic port and polish by a guy here in my home town, we didn't flow anything because it was just a good clean up job. I'll say this much, Popular Hot Rodding did an article on the hemi stating that dodge had invited them in for a briefing on the new engine. They got to looking at the heads and reported all about how clean they were and that dodge had done a wonderful job on them, the best factory production head they had came across, I wonder why mine didn't look like these, cause they were pretty nasty! Also have seen one at the dealership with a bad spring that was torn down, they were rougher than mine. I feel that it picked up some low end power from this. Red, sounds like a deal man, maybe we can get a few folks up and interested in doing a GTG. I'll pass it around in the NC chapter over there and tell a few of the Va and SC guys. One Quick 5.3...............thanks for letting the crowd know we try to get along with everybody man, most of us here and there are just after one or two things...........faster times/speeds and alot of fun!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:03 AM
TECH Veteran

hmm. i wonder what the stock heads flow...
Old 01-16-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

You need to undestand that the HEMI is not just another engine like a "triton" or a "vortec". The HEMI is the most Legendary engine ever built
And our Dic#$ are bigger than most because if it....
Old 01-16-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BitViper
And our Dic#$ are bigger than most because if it....

Ya know mine gained a full 3 inches when I got mine............LMAO
Old 01-16-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

SportSide5.3, this is the stock flow#s and the article on the heads from Popular Hot Rodding I was talking about............they might have been this good on the heads that PHR got a hold on, but production heads are not this god IMO.

Flow Capability
We can see that Chrysler's engineers were targeting the best two-valve head possible. There are two important questions that need to be asked here: How well did they succeed for the head in stock form and, since no aftermarket heads are available, what is its porting potential? The graph, Fig 3, gives the answers here and you are going to like them. First, the intake port. The stock port with its 2-inch valve flowed a whopping 270 cfm at only .600-inch lift. It hit the peak flow figures, which are produced at .700-inch lift on a stock LS6, at only about 375 thousandths lift. This is good news but there is a lot more. Peak figures are not the whole story. Good mid-range figures are also important. The new Hemi did extremely well here. At 250 thousandths lift, the stock head was nearer a $10,000 Winston (Nextel) Cup head than it was to even a good modified parallel-valve head.

A check on the intake port velocity (Fig 4) showed the intake to be a super high-speed port with valve-to-port areas very similar to what is seen in Formula One. Velocity probing showed 90 percent of the port flows at a velocity greater than 90 percent of maximum. This is far better than a typical 23-degree performance head for a small-block Chevy or, for that matter, the LS6.

The exhaust port showed the same high-function trend by hitting 161 cfm at 600 thousandths lift through its 1.55-inch valve. It also had a far better than average port velocity and velocity distribution (Fig 5).

We spent a day and a half on the flow bench in an effort to find out what this head does or does not like in the way of port mods. We are sure there is much still to come, especially with some bigger valves, but we did find what it took to produce, at 600 thousandths lift, some 302 cfm on the intake and 195 cfm on the exhaust. As the nearby photos show the work to achieve this proved simple. In essence, the porting involves little more than just tidying up what Chrysler's engineers provided in the first place (great job guys).
Old 01-16-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This is just gay, read this post by bluehemi818 and tell me what you think:

"and there is no comparing the Hemi of new to any other truck engine (exluding the srt-10 viper engine)"

Sense a little brand loyalty???
Old 01-16-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumble Bee Ram
SportSide5.3, this is the stock flow#s and the article on the heads from Popular Hot Rodding I was talking about............they might have been this good on the heads that PHR got a hold on, but production heads are not this god IMO.

Flow Capability
We can see that Chrysler's engineers were targeting the best two-valve head possible. There are two important questions that need to be asked here: How well did they succeed for the head in stock form and, since no aftermarket heads are available, what is its porting potential? The graph, Fig 3, gives the answers here and you are going to like them. First, the intake port. The stock port with its 2-inch valve flowed a whopping 270 cfm at only .600-inch lift. It hit the peak flow figures, which are produced at .700-inch lift on a stock LS6, at only about 375 thousandths lift. This is good news but there is a lot more. Peak figures are not the whole story. Good mid-range figures are also important. The new Hemi did extremely well here. At 250 thousandths lift, the stock head was nearer a $10,000 Winston (Nextel) Cup head than it was to even a good modified parallel-valve head.

A check on the intake port velocity (Fig 4) showed the intake to be a super high-speed port with valve-to-port areas very similar to what is seen in Formula One. Velocity probing showed 90 percent of the port flows at a velocity greater than 90 percent of maximum. This is far better than a typical 23-degree performance head for a small-block Chevy or, for that matter, the LS6.

The exhaust port showed the same high-function trend by hitting 161 cfm at 600 thousandths lift through its 1.55-inch valve. It also had a far better than average port velocity and velocity distribution (Fig 5).

We spent a day and a half on the flow bench in an effort to find out what this head does or does not like in the way of port mods. We are sure there is much still to come, especially with some bigger valves, but we did find what it took to produce, at 600 thousandths lift, some 302 cfm on the intake and 195 cfm on the exhaust. As the nearby photos show the work to achieve this proved simple. In essence, the porting involves little more than just tidying up what Chrysler's engineers provided in the first place (great job guys).

Now let's compare the hemi head to the ls7 head, can the hemi do 370cfm?
Old 01-16-2005, 11:37 PM
NKAWTG...N

I've got a Dodge Ram. As far as I'm concerned, the engines in our trucks isn't even a true hemi. That honor goes to the 426. If you've seen a 5.7 apart, it's not a true hemispherical chamber... they stuck some quench area in there to help with detonation resistance and flame front travel...
i think we should save that incase we need ammo in the future...

Quick Reply: Think I struck a nerve on DTW!