Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Those of you who launch in 4wd....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Has anyone broken any parts launching and running in 4HI? Like front diff, transfer case, etc?
I broke one in my 99,,, but I had the truck in 4lo goin down the road and I would let it tach out in 1st and shift it into 2nd and it would pick the front wheels up a hair... that and doughnuts in 4wd on pavment.... and all that was on 35's....I was a dumb kid but it was fun LOL
Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GmOnEy Z71
I broke one in my 99,,, but I had the truck in 4lo goin down the road and I would let it tach out in 1st and shift it into 2nd and it would pick the front wheels up a hair... that and doughnuts in 4wd on pavment.... and all that was on 35's....I was a dumb kid but it was fun LOL
What'd you break?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:45 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Has anyone broken any parts launching and running in 4HI? Like front diff, transfer case, etc?
MANY moons ago, there was a esky with a front mount Livernoisy kit I think, anyway.... The esky built boost at the light then launched what looked to be the chain out from under the truck... I believe the owner confirmed the t-case but not what part had failed.... It was a VERY old video... before pt I believe....

1funz71 was the owner that tried to take my life away in 4low at the track... he never hit the limiter....
Old 11-16-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I always keep it in 4 auto while I drive it around town. If I am purposely going to run, I switch it to 4hi. Many many times though, I get on it and it just grabs all 4 when below 50 or so...I feel it lock down a split second after spinning the rears. Maybe not the best on my drivetrain, but I bought it to have all the fun I can have. F' it.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cttandy
I miss having a posi-loc on my truck. 2 wheel low is pretty tough. I used to take a 4.3L blazer out and and floor it. It wouldn't do anything in first but when it shifted to second it would pull the truck sideways. I never took it faster then about 40 as it didn't want to shift into 3rd, and sounded like it was going to blow.

Nice thing about having cheap trucks to abuse.
You can have 2LO in your truck if you get under the front and unplug the little motor that engages the axles. my truck, stock on 35's, would rip second gear on dry pavement when i did this
Old 11-17-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
You can have 2LO in your truck if you get under the front and unplug the little motor that engages the axles. my truck, stock on 35's, would rip second gear on dry pavement when i did this
My truck isn't electric shift, it's the crappy vacuum shift. I want to order another posi-loc unit for it. It was super nice to have the extra choice, and guaranteed axle locked in when it was needed.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

how fast do you think you can safely go in 4hi and for how long? i have a manual t case btw.
And another question, the only difference between push button and manual is that the push button has a clutch, right?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:03 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKZ71
how fast do you think you can safely go in 4hi and for how long? i have a manual t case btw.
And another question, the only difference between push button and manual is that the push button has a clutch, right?
the manual case does not have a clutch. there is a push button 4wd and then there is autotrack wich is pushbutton with a clutch.

i went 140mph many times with my truck in 4hi and around 150 a couple of times. i am not saying it was safe but it didn't feel unsafe.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

I know this thread hasnt been active for over a month, but I just read it and wanted to ask a couple questions. Being that the autotrack T-cases have a clutch in them and the front end is engaged all the time, and the clutch helps to ease on the power transfer shouldnt it be safe to launch in 4wd auto? Is this hard on the clutch in the T-case or is it hard on the other parts? I being stock have not even close to the power that many of you guys have, but I have used 4wd auto a few times on the street to get off the line...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:52 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT LAUNCH IN 4WD AUTO

go back and read the whole thread

Quick Reply: Those of you who launch in 4wd....