Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Throttle body bump stop grind?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body bump stop grind?

How is this done? Looking at my stock throttle body versus the polished one I got, I see where the polished one had the bump stop ground down. I think I heard that you use an ohm meter but not sure where or what to connect the meter to and what reading I need to check for. On another note, the stock TB's inlet was very rough, I used some fine sand paper and them some steel wool and got it VERY smooth now. It's not polshied but it's very smooth, if I get the TB at 99.9% open, I may just return the polished TB for a refund which Shaner said I could do. I'm still getting an intermintent SES light from the TB install anyways. Any help would be appreciated on the bump stop grind.
Jim
Old 07-06-2003, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Throttle body bump stop grind?

The voltage for a fully open TB should be 4.64 (wanna stay under 4.7) volts. Use a ohm meter and probe the blue wire goin into the TB sensor.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Banned

why are you getting an SES light? just a different throttlebody shouldn't set an SES light? i have a ported tb on mine with bypass mod etc and have had no problems at all. you sure you did everything right when you installed it? (connected all proper wires etc)
Old 07-06-2003, 02:39 PM

why are you getting an SES light? just a different throttlebody shouldn't set an SES light? i have a ported tb on mine with bypass mod etc and have had no problems at all. you sure you did everything right when you installed it? (connected all proper wires etc)
I got the first SES light about 15 miles after I installed the polished TB, not sure why. I used the HPP to reset the light and it came back again. I pulled the TB and took out and reinstalled the sensors but the SES light didn't go out. When I put thr stock TB back on, the SES light went back out after a few miles. Some one told me that it could be the TPS sensor, installing it in a differnet TB could be the problem. I don't know enough about that kind of stuff to know really what it is, I guess I could get the code read. I haven't had it for a while though so the situation may be resolved. I was just thinking that if I got my stock TB closer to a polished one, I could get the $175 back and put it towards the 4.10's gears I want to get. I'm sure they'll make a bigger difference than the polished TB did.
Jim
Old 07-06-2003, 03:31 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried the ported TB also and got some codes.....I went with the BBK and called it a day. Much better throttle response.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Banned

interesting, so the HPP can reset codes? i need to get me a BBK tb and get my intake manifold ported a little
Old 07-06-2003, 10:53 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

can you port the stock intake?
Old 07-06-2003, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You most definately can port the stock throttlebody Bauer Racing did mine.Some of the guys in the external engine mods forum claim that Bauer's throttlebodies flow over 1000cfm compaired 700cfm for the stock throttlebody.Mine has'nt set any codes.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:26 AM

interesting, so the HPP can reset codes? i need to get me a BBK tb and get my intake manifold ported a little
Well I guess the HPP resets the code. After I use it to load either the same program or a new one, the SES light isn't there any more.
Jim
Old 07-07-2003, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Check out install university, they did the bump stop grind to a fbody or corvette TB.

Quick Reply: Throttle body bump stop grind?