Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Thumping or Knock in Your Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well so far so good!

bitch do your own work heh
Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 04BlackGmc
Well so far so good!

bitch do your own work heh

I've done about 60 of these new designs so far here at my new shop....and as of today...we've not had any "come backs". So I got soem faith in the new designed shafts. Keep us posted on how yours is doing. Best of luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
I've done about 60 of these new designs so far here at my new shop....and as of today...we've not had any "come backs". So I got soem faith in the new designed shafts. Keep us posted on how yours is doing. Best of luck.
Heh it will prob be awhile if it ever does go bad went from driving my truck 18k a year to now 6k..

ive put about 300 miles on it since im still on the same gas i filled up as i left the dealer.

but so far so good. I made sure i got the new part number and all that when i went in.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 04BlackGmc
Heh it will prob be awhile if it ever does go bad went from driving my truck 18k a year to now 6k..

ive put about 300 miles on it since im still on the same gas i filled up as i left the dealer.

but so far so good. I made sure i got the new part number and all that when i went in.

LOL...I'm sure your truck thinks "what the hell, why ain't I movin'"

Hey that new dry-slide lube they put in those new shafts is a pretty neat idea and seems to be holding up. I just think that they put the shaft in upside down, if they;d flipped it then I don;t think we'd have had all the problems so far.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got an '05 2 weeks ago....and I live down a mile long pot holed filled gravel road and the dang thing clunks/rattles all the way down the road.....looks like I'll be ordering a shaft. Too bad the truck has 75K miles, or I'd just take it to the dealership and have them check it out under warranty. Oh well.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Notorious BIG

I can vouche for Torque_wrench and his shafts. STEERING SHAFTS guys, geez get your head out of the gutter.

i've had the new gm shaft on my truck now for a couple hundred miles with great success. Although i didn't get mine from Josh, i have bought items from him in the past and was pleased with his service.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Holty
I can vouche for Torque_wrench and his shafts. STEERING SHAFTS guys, geez get your head out of the gutter.

i've had the new gm shaft on my truck now for a couple hundred miles with great success. Although i didn't get mine from Josh, i have bought items from him in the past and was pleased with his service.

Thanx Holty...I appreciate that.

Yeah guys, the new shaft design has appeared to solve the problem so far. Even though some of you have 2005 and 2006 and even a 2007 classic style truck, that dosen't mean the you have the "new designed" shaft. Most of them came off the line with a old shaft that has the problems. Keep in mind that they didn't start producing the truck with the new shaft until the new 900 Body style change.

Also, like I've stated before, if you can't reach satisfaction with you own local dealer, just PM me or contact me and I'll help you get a new designed Steering Shaft.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to my local dealer about this. They were familiar with it...they said it would be about $250 to do it. I asked how much the part is, and the guy told me $150-$175. Guess they won't be doing it!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I talked to my local dealer about this. They were familiar with it...they said it would be about $250 to do it. I asked how much the part is, and the guy told me $150-$175. Guess they won't be doing it!

That's a little too steep.......I can help you out. PM sent!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Torue_Wrench,

I just took my truck in for some knocking noises and this is what was done to solve the problem. I hope thye did this correctly. According to my invoice, they felt or heard the noise that I heard and they replaced the I-shaft with part#19153614, but it also says that it was insufficently lubricated. So did my dealership do it correctly?

Quick Reply: Thumping or Knock in Your Steering Wheel?