Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Time needed for a cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 40series
i like this idea other than the air pressure trick to hold up the lifters, i just dont know what fitting it is an d where it goes .. Any help would be appreciated

The "trick" involving air is to hold up the valves, once your remove the spring and retainers. You actually screw the fitting into the spark plug threads and it fills the combustion chamber with air. Which holds the valve up.

I suggest you read the ls1howto.com write up.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dowel rods to hold up lifters. air hose from a compression test kit to hold up the lifters. Undo the front of the pan to unbolt the pickup tube and remove the oil pump. Pick up an LSx balancer install tool from Sdparts.com to put the balancer back on unless you don't mind risking messing up the crank or bolt threads. happens some times.

Seems to take forever to do the springs one at a time. Just clear a day. I think the first time I did one was around 7 hours cuz we had to find a 3 jaw puller for the balancer. that was just cam and springs. creeping on 200k miles now and still have stock chain and pump.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Word of advice! On that pressure test fitting there is a small "cap" on it that screws into the end of the hose. On the first hole we did we didnt realize that the tip stayed in the spark plug socket, still fit in the rest of the holes and worked fine but just keep an eye out for it. We didnt realize something was messed up until I put the plug in there and it stuck out way farther than it should.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Are 4 wheel the same when dropping oil pan?

Originally Posted by viciousknid
dowel rods to hold up lifters. Air hose from a compression test kit to hold up the lifters. Undo the front of the pan to unbolt the pickup tube and remove the oil pump. Pick up an lsx balancer install tool from sdparts.com to put the balancer back on unless you don't mind risking messing up the crank or bolt threads. Happens some times.

Seems to take forever to do the springs one at a time. Just clear a day. I think the first time i did one was around 7 hours cuz we had to find a 3 jaw puller for the balancer. That was just cam and springs. Creeping on 200k miles now and still have stock chain and pump.
are 4 wheel drives the same when dropping oil pan , do you have to mess with the front dif, or cross member?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a 4 wheel drive you can change the time estimate to one week...
Old 02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Where's the Beef?

are 4 wheel drives the same when dropping oil pan , do you have to mess with the front dif, or cross member?
Never changed it the pump on either my 2wd or my z71 so not sure. I'd think you could undo the motor mounts and lift the engine up enough to get clearance but just guessing.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to take off the lower subframe link under the oil pan, but you don't have to completely remove the oil pan to do the pump. I did mine with the front axle still in the truck. Granted, it took me 2 weeks but that was because I was working in my driveway on during the evenings after work. (and I messed up the pickup tube o-ring a few times and didn't get pressure)
Old 02-13-2012, 06:30 PM

I've got about eight hours into it right now, me and a buddie,but then this six liter showed up....
Old 02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Any word on NNBS DOD delete and cam swap times?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:10 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gonna take longer, the heads have to come off so you can swap the lifters out.

Quick Reply: Time needed for a cam swap