Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

tinting taillights

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 01:25 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tinting taillights

i was thinking of tinting my taillights since i had one pair of taillight covers stolen and another blown off in the car wash. has anyone done this here...if so how dark of a tint and how many layers should do?
Old 08-15-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: tinting taillights

it actually works best if you use spray on tint. its made by a company called VHT and called "nite shades" or something to that effect. go to fullsizechevy.com and ask loki how he did his cuz they came out flawless.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:03 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second pair blew off in a car wash? wtf? I wish I coulda been behind you when that happened cuz I woulda laughed my *** off

Anyway, I tinted my taillights using Testor's model spray paint and clear coat. I don't remember all the colors they had, but I chose "Transparent Candy Apple Red"

1)I scuffed em up with a Scotch Brite pad and soap and water to get em nice and clean.
2)I used a 220 grit sand paper (because I didn't have any finer grit) and sanded it down until it was smooth.
3)Now for paint. I sprayed a light/medium coat on first, then let them dry overnight in the garage(it was so hot here when I did it they were dry in the early morning). I repeated this process 3 times I think until I got to the darkness I wanted.
4)Now for clear coat. Lightly sand again (when completely dry) and spray a medium to thick coat on, wait 5 minutes or until it tacks up, then spray a light coat on a couple times at 5 minute intervals. Let it dry overnight.
5)Get ahold of some 3M wetsand paper. The finest you can get. For some reason they don't sell 2000 grit here in southern California, at least where I've looked (hardware stores, hobby stores, etc.).
Wetsand the taillights, get a spray bottle with water and keep it wet as you sand.
Then use some sort of polishing compound, wax, and you should have some pimp *** looking taillights that no one else has.
If you want it to look right, you must take your time during the painting process. I started on a Monday evening, and finished on Wednesday. I had those 3 days off so I didn't really drive anywhere except the hardware store...I bet it looked kinda funny with my taped up taillights on.

Old 08-16-2003, 01:03 AM
14 Second Truck Club

hmmm, tint in a can..what'll they come up with next. there's some on ebay for $12, wonder if that's cheap and where else i can buy it. i went to check loki's and they look pretty sweet.

chingon: yeah yeah, laugh all you want...you shoulda seen me run back into the car wash to recover the taillight covers. i gotta give you some major creativity points for the model paint idea. you ever get out as a kid? in any case, they look good without the amber, two thumbs up!
Old 08-16-2003, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

nice work
Old 08-16-2003, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chingon that is awesome!
Old 08-16-2003, 04:35 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

hmmm, tint in a can..what'll they come up with next. there's some on ebay for $12, wonder if that's cheap and where else i can buy it. i went to check loki's and they look pretty sweet.

chingon: yeah yeah, laugh all you want...you shoulda seen me run back into the car wash to recover the taillight covers. i gotta give you some major creativity points for the model paint idea. you ever get out as a kid? in any case, they look good without the amber, two thumbs up!
Imagining your *** running into the car wash and picking up the taillight covers...HAHAH

Anyway, the paint cans were about $3 and change each, I think I used about one can per taillight, and half a can of the clear coat...if I remember correctly. Pick it up at your local hobby shop. Some guy I think on FSC said that he told the guys at the hobby shop the paint was for "his model airplane" because apparantly it's not supposed to be for sale for automobile purposes. **** em
Heh, nope, never got out as a kid but woulda loved to when you were at the carwash...hahaha...sorry, I'll stop now
Old 08-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Here's another option...

http://www.smokinlights.net/index_products.htm

The cars I have seen them on look great!
The only Issue I would have is the turn around time, But I plan on getting my '04 tail ligths tinted by them when I get them!
Old 08-23-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know some paint shops can tint them and shine them up good
im gunna get the 03 lens and tint them at this shop around here
hi from mexico
Old 08-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Banned

chingon...how about i send you my stock tail lights and some cash and you do it for me??? my truck is like your's reg cab white etc but my tail gate is shaved and no cap on the top of the tail gate. i like how your's look. hook it up man.

Quick Reply: tinting taillights