Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Title/ownership/ legal question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Title/ownership/ legal question

Ok this might be kind of long so bare with me. I recieved a certified legal notice from a title office yesterday. It says that I am the Last known registered owner or leinholder of a vehicle that is in a body shop in Houston. It says

Please be advised that the above vehicle was left for repairs on the date indicated: 07/18/03. You, as the Last known registered owner or leinholder of this vehicle, are being notified to come forward and pay the charges due, and pick up this vehicle.

It then lists a price for parts and labor and a title service fee.

then it says this:

Further, in compliance with the provisions of chapter 70, state prperty code, you are hereby advised of the charges due, and and if such charges are not paidprior to the expiration of 30 days from the postmark of this notice, this vehicle will be sold at public sale to satisfy the charges due.
.................................................. ......................................

Ok now this is my first car from High School that my father and I hand built from the ground up. I drove it for a few years then wrecked it a little and ended up selling it to a drug dealer. The guy we sold it to never transferred the title to his name and I guess is either dead or in prison. I called the body shop and talked to the owner where the car is now in Houston. HE asked me nicely if I would mind just signing the title over to him and he will waive the charges so HE can keep the car as a project for himself. Now legally I can go pay the charges and take my car back right ? He said all the body work is done and it still runs and drives and only needs a few trim pieces, and 2 bumpers, and paint. Does anyone know how this works exactly ?
Old 09-28-2003, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Title/ownership/ legal question

Maybe there is some meaning to this... I would go and pay the body shot and get it.. then resell it. Ahh.. but you don't have the title. Interesting situation...
Old 09-28-2003, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Yeah I really want it back. That thing was so much fun and I have so many memories from that car.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

TECHNICALLY I THINK IF THE TITLE IS IN YOUR NAME ITS STILL YOURS, BECAUSE LEGALLY IF SOMETHING WHERE TO HAPPEN WITH THIS CAR AND IT WAS IN SOME KIND OF POLICE CHASE OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT. IT GOES BACK TO YOU AND YOU ARE HELD LIABLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS DURING THE OFFENSE BECAUSE THE CAR WAS IN YOUR NAME.TRY YOUR LUCK. WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN YOU DONT GET THE CAR.IF THE GUY LEFT IT AT THE BODY SHOP HE APPARENTLY EITHER DOESNT HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY FOR IT, OR DOESNT WANT IT ANYMORE,
OR IT WILL BE AUCTIONED OFF.
YOUR CALL, PERSONALLY IF I COULD GET MY 78 Z28 BACK I WOULD JUMP ALL OVER IT.
I COULD KICK MYSELF IN THE *** FOR SELLING THAT CAR
ANYWAYS GOOD LUCK
Old 09-28-2003, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

What kind of car is it??? Is it worth buying back to re-sell it or keep it? If you ever want to give a car away... I am in Houston What body shop is it?
Old 09-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Launching!

What kind of car is it??? Is it worth buying back to re-sell it or keep it? If you ever want to give a car away... I am in Houston What body shop is it?
lol no way I'll let this car go if I can get it back. It's a 1963 Chevrolet Impala 2 door hardtop that my father and I restored many years ago.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

lol no way I'll let this car go if I can get it back. It's a 1963 Chevrolet Impala 2 door hardtop that my father and I restored many years ago.
Geez man! That should be a no brainer! Go get your wheels.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Its yours legally, go get it. Then you can file for a "lost title" to get another copy of the title. Of course if you got the dough for the body work.....
That's where the body shop guy is hoping you will just sign over the title so he can keep it.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Austin Yukon... post up or PM me what Body shop it is. I am in an auto class, and we have connections to several body shops that might be able to cut you a deal. Good luck! Get your awesome ride back!
Old 09-29-2003, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey being only 22 I am getting ready to get rid of my first car...wait, it isn't going anywhere...I gotta say get that thing back.... I know what it means to you because I know what my car means to me, it's not the car it's the memories.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: Title/ownership/ legal question