Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Todays GM trucks seem very crappy. Please Enlighten me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Todays GM trucks seem very crappy. Please Enlighten me!

For the last little while, I've been thinking of getting a new truck, my 2002 is getting old and reliability may start to be questionned soon... so today I went to look at a bunch of GMC's and Silverados. MAAAN was I EVER disappointed! Please tell me what's up with the tinny paper-thin panels! You can seriously just easily push in the panels with your small finger. The ground clearance in the front is **** since they try to make the front end so big it drags to the ground, the interior feels cheap as hell and the whole truck just feels like some recyclable object. I went to see dodges and things weren't any better there. Although I despise Fords for the trouble i've had in the past with them, they actually felt like a much more quality truck.. but still nothing that impressive.

Am I right is saying that it seems like all the pickup truck companies are trading in practicality and durability for lightweight fuel mileage and materialistic looks?

I don't want to bash peoples new trucks, i'm simply asking someone to show me the light, cuz all i see is darkness when I look at GM trucks.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Taste will always be a personal thing but yes, sheet metal has got thinner to save weight and improve mpgs. Look for the use of high strength steel and composite materials in the near future. I don't have a problem clearing curbs with the front of mine but a leveling kit wouldn't be a big expense if you like it taller. I love the GMT900 interior in comparison to the 800 but perhaps you looked at a LS interior and would prefer an LT, again thats individual perception.

All in all it may be wise to wait another year and take a look at the new trucks aka the CK7 body style.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:41 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Its not that they necessarily want to make those changes, but EPA gas mileage regulations force them to do whatever they can to increase mileage. Having less ground clearance and thinner panels is a great way to do that.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my 2000 back in 2000 I thought the same about that truck in comparison to the older trucks. But the engine performance was tenfold better! BTW I never did buy into the feedback crap of the late 70's and 80"s!
Fast forward to 2011 I bought a 11 ecsb 6.2 NHT. Holy crap is the sheet metal thin and the interior was furnished by Fisher Price. But damn the powertrain is even better than the 2000! (IMO speeking for the 6.2 and 6 speed tranny.) The performance is that much better. The next generation promises to be even more refined and hopefully even more powerful. I'd bet you'll be able to get a smokin deal on a 13 before or after the 14's arrive. But I wouldn't touch a first year run of the 14's. Let'em get the bugs worked out first. Just my.02. Now I'm broke.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went through this same thing and I have have a bunch of buddies with NNBS truck. I don't have any issues with the new trucks other then the paint/body. seem to have the same raddles the old ones did, paint peels off the steering wheel/radio.
My Service advisor told me the 01-02 are the best built trucks he has seen (other then the well minor issues) so now i am reluctant to sell.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The only way I could tolerate my new truck was to get a SLT level interior or find a LTZ the styling and fit and finish is better but it's still the same cheap crap. I do love the truck though and my 6.2 will rock and roll when you get on it.

My dad just bought a 6.2 supercrew king ranch and it is far better than my 2011 GMC truck in term's of fit and finish and overall build quality feel. But when I bought my truck you couldn't find a 6.2 in a ford at the time. Never thought I'd see the day when my dad a gm mechanic of 42 years would be in a ford but he is. At least they are built here in america my truck was hecho in silao mexico. And the horn played la cucalaracha first time I tried to honk it and every part in the sorry pos interior has made in china on it. Dont read what I'm saying wrong I love my truck and don't plan on getting rid of it I'm just stating my blatent obvious observations after owning it for 2.5 years and tearing it apart to do stereo and alarm install. Every panel in it is one time use made in china **** and they all break when you take it apart and fit like **** afterwards if they don't break. I replaced more than one part when I put it back together because of the above listed problems.

Last edited by 01WS6/tamu; 01-18-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

My 2010 6.2 makes twice the power with the same amount of fuel as my 1997 c1500 with a 350 did.
I didn't buy it to admire body metal thickness and corrosion is less an issue in new trucks than older ones.
I like the style of my LTZ interior, but the panels are cheap for sure.
But, this thing rocks, that's why I drive it.

Last edited by Allgonoshow; 01-18-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERCHARGE
For the last little while, I've been thinking of getting a new truck, my 2002 is getting old and reliability may start to be questionned soon... so today I went to look at a bunch of GMC's and Silverados. MAAAN was I EVER disappointed! Please tell me what's up with the tinny paper-thin panels! You can seriously just easily push in the panels with your small finger. The ground clearance in the front is **** since they try to make the front end so big it drags to the ground, the interior feels cheap as hell and the whole truck just feels like some recyclable object. I went to see dodges and things weren't any better there. Although I despise Fords for the trouble i've had in the past with them, they actually felt like a much more quality truck.. but still nothing that impressive.

Am I right is saying that it seems like all the pickup truck companies are trading in practicality and durability for lightweight fuel mileage and materialistic looks?

I don't want to bash peoples new trucks, i'm simply asking someone to show me the light, cuz all i see is darkness when I look at GM trucks.
No light here. Spent over 2 years in a GMT900 and dealt with a fleet of them otherwise. Will never look at one ever again. I dislike the look of the '14 even more and fail to see anything in the way of improvement drivetrain wise so that's fine. Lot's of other brands and models to look at out there once I can't get clean low mileage GMT800's anymore.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

I have a 2013 Silverado Ext Cab and i love everything about it except the mpg. I went to Tenn. 2 weeks ago and got 15.5 going up there. 5.3, 6spd auto, 3.08's, 20' wheels.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I missed this thread...

But i agree with the OP, i dont like anything about the new trucks and i sure hate having a Payment.
I have no complaints about my 2000 now. But i would do it all over again except sooner with the LQ4/4L80E swap.

Quick Reply: Todays GM trucks seem very crappy. Please Enlighten me!