Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Top engine cleaner seems to have worked.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top engine cleaner seems to have worked.

The truck has had a bad knock retard problem for a while now. I've looked in the intake manifold and saw that it was pretty oily so I decided to see if that was what was causing the knock. The knock was bad enough that I had to drop my timing back to around 21° and I'd still see some knock retard pretty often which would pull it back even further. Needless to say I bet there is a little power being lost there in the timing.

First thing I did was buy a AMW catch can to put on the PCV cause that hose is always wet with oil on the inside. After a couple hundred miles of hard driving I opened it up and the bottom of the canister is covered in oil(1/16"), after ONLY a couple hundred miles. The hose heading to the intake manifold is bone dry though. Now that the oil has been stopped from getting to the intake I went out and got some top engine cleaner.

The place I went didn't have the SeaFoam stuff so I got the Amsoil Power Foam.

I took off the UPD and MAF and let the truck get up to temp. Then I just cracked the TB ever so slightly with the engine running and sprayed the can in. If you do this be aware the truck is gonna set a MAF code and might start to run like hell.

So anyway, I get the can sprayed in and drive it around a bit with it smoking it *** off looking like some junkyard truck or something. The truck ran like crap for about the first 10 miles trying to cut off and running bad. After that it ran ok but, the TPS sensor must've got some Power Foam in it which had it reading crazy. Turns out that's why the truck was running bad. After a day or two the TPS sensor is ok, must've just needed to dry out. If I do it again I might spray the stuff in the PCV hose instead of the TB to avoid some of the electronics.

Now I did some logging and this stuff has made a world of difference. Before like I said I was running 21° of timing and still getting KR at 13:1 AFR. I haven't made any changes yet but now I am seeing 23.5-24° of timing with NO KR. I've seen some logs under certain cirumstance at WOT showing 26-28° of timing with NO KR. It hit 29° and blipped the KR on so I think I can get 27-28° and be set. That should make a nice difference from 21° and less.

One other thing I noticed, ever since I've had the truck the O2 sensors read just a little different than each other. After doing the cleaning they read very close to each other.

I just thought I'd share this in case someone else had some KR problems and was thinking of trying the top end cleaner stuff. Made a world of difference on my truck. I'd recommend the AMW catch can also, very nice piece that seems to do it's job great. I mounted mine on the fuse box plastic.

Now I need to go flash the computer with some more timing and see what happens.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where's the cliffs notes?
Old 08-27-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder if they sell that stuff here in cali. No more TEC allowed from the dealer
Old 08-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Adkoonerstrator

I didn't feel like typing anymore so no cliff notes. Just learn to read better and it'll go quick.

No whoring up this thread.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by MacADaYear
I wonder if they sell that stuff here in cali. No more TEC allowed from the dealer
You want some, I'll ship it out there for a small fee.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
You want some, I'll ship it out there for a small fee.
If your talking about the GM TEC yea I do want some. Hitman was suppoed to come through with some but never did. I love the smoke
Old 08-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Sure, how much you want? I guess you just get it at the parts department?
Old 08-27-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Ill find the part number
Old 08-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Wink

Ill find the part number
Old 08-27-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not use SeaFoam?

Still readily available in California at a NAPA or equivalent parts house near you.

Quick Reply: Top engine cleaner seems to have worked.