Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Truck continuously stalls when shifted into reverse..........

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck continuously stalls when shifted into reverse..........

99 sierra, 4.8 with Cai/exhaust FLT Level 7 4l60 and circle d triple disc 2800 converter.

i just recently installed the trans and converter and both seem to be performing perfect. however maybe coincidently the problem started shortly after the install.

The truck starts no problem although the idle seems to be a bit low 6-700 rpm gauge reading, but idles fine until i shift the gear selector into reverse upon which point the rpms drop and it stalls out (every time) when i go to start it back up it takes a few extra cranks to fire and usually have to give it some gas, like it dosent want to start back up again.

once its warmed up, selecting reverse usually isnt a problem
but every morning I go to start it up and leave for work, i go to back out of the driveway and she stalls, I can hold the brake and the gas a bit to keep the rpms up to keep it from stalling but the engagement is hard on the drive line and id rather not brake the billet output shaft on my new level 7.

also when its really cold (first started) giving it gas occasionally sounds like its missing until it warms up then i get full power and it runs great.

looking for ideas on what to check:
I recently cleaned the air filter and was thinking maybe i put too much oil on the filter and it possibly messed with the MAF ?
There are no check engine lights
I noticed the gas mileage is down a bit but that usually happens here in Canada with the cold and winter gas.

the motor is well maintained, fresh amsoil,plugs,wires, clean air filter,

could it just be a possibility of the idle being too low ? its always idled around 6-700 rpms since ive owned it, im looking into getting a blackbear or nelson tune within the next few weeks and want to make sure this issue is resolved.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigbus
99 sierra, 4.8 with Cai/exhaust FLT Level 7 4l60 and circle d triple disc 2800 converter.

i just recently installed the trans and converter and both seem to be performing perfect. however maybe coincidently the problem started shortly after the install.

The truck starts no problem although the idle seems to be a bit low 6-700 rpm gauge reading, but idles fine until i shift the gear selector into reverse upon which point the rpms drop and it stalls out (every time) when i go to start it back up it takes a few extra cranks to fire and usually have to give it some gas, like it dosent want to start back up again.

once its warmed up, selecting reverse usually isnt a problem
but every morning I go to start it up and leave for work, i go to back out of the driveway and she stalls, I can hold the brake and the gas a bit to keep the rpms up to keep it from stalling but the engagement is hard on the drive line and id rather not brake the billet output shaft on my new level 7.

also when its really cold (first started) giving it gas occasionally sounds like its missing until it warms up then i get full power and it runs great.

looking for ideas on what to check:
I recently cleaned the air filter and was thinking maybe i put too much oil on the filter and it possibly messed with the MAF ?
There are no check engine lights
I noticed the gas mileage is down a bit but that usually happens here in Canada with the cold and winter gas.

the motor is well maintained, fresh amsoil,plugs,wires, clean air filter,

could it just be a possibility of the idle being too low ? its always idled around 6-700 rpms since ive owned it, im looking into getting a blackbear or nelson tune within the next few weeks and want to make sure this issue is resolved.
i have the same problem with my 6.0 once and a while..everything is in good shape, just did my scan tune again and everything is within check..just once and a while it will die when going into reverse..
Old 12-14-2010, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

This stalls everytime i shift into reverse, i would love if it was every now and then lol.