Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Truck shuts down after cold startup.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck shuts down after cold startup.....

06 Silverado 4.8 CCSB...

Its been doing it for well over a year and a half. Nearly every day. I start my truck up every 3-4 hours to keep my battery charged due to having a laptop, wireless booster, and cell phone plugged in and on. Anyway on a cold start my truck will sometimes just die within 5 seconds of starting. If you try to immediately start it back up it will just turn over almost like its loaded up, but if you turn the key off and wait a few seconds it will fire right up and go along its way. This ONLY happens on a cold start with my electronics plugged in and never without. It will ONLY die one time per cold start if it dies at all. Usually it dies when the battery is getting low. It does not set any codes and I have scanned it with hpt and picked up nothing.

I have been thinking it was low voltage to the ign. switch or something similar. Also when this happens the PRNDL lights go out, the doors will lock/unlock, and the truck will die simultaneously.

Last edited by WongBob; 12-13-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:43 AM
11 Second Club

Old 12-16-2010, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

I think you are over drawing you battery to the point it does not have enough amps to power the initial start up. Are all the aux. pices of equipment contanstly on or tied to a ignition trigger? If they are on all the time, you are most likly dealing with a deminished battery that can no-longer provied the neede amps and you electrical system is relying completely on the alt to feed it.

I would reccomend, if you havn't already, getting a better battery designed for heavy electronics use like competition level stereos use. I would suggest an XS Power battery, a higher (200amp) amp alternator might help as well. These batts. have a better duyt cycle and are rated for longer and more consistand ouput, with out diminising the battey as fast as a standard lead-acid batt.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in hpt, monitor ignition voltage and take note when all of this happens. Even add ignt volts to your graph so you can watch it go up and down.

Cold weather is hard on a battery, as blade is eluding to, maybe it just so happens to be a breaking point on your ecm and it doesn't have enough volts to do certain tasks, like run the idle trims.

Lastly, have you changed your airflow tables? Idle tables? since you are tuning, must ask. There are tables that only effect cold starts and maybe you are right on the cuff.