Old 08-11-2011, 06:27 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this out just for fun:

Adding Freon to Car AC - Gauge Readings Explained | Denlors Auto Blog
Old 08-12-2011, 06:28 PM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a trucool 40K & it has not caused any problems, a/c or otherwise, period.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Highway hauler

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
That is correct, if there was a clog, the low side would show a low reading on the gauge while the high side would be high.

So we have a high high side reading, and a normal low side reading...I'm racking my brain to try and remember if I've seen that before and nothing is coming to mind. I'll bet that it's something simple...

Did you unbolt the radiator and check for debris between the rad and condenser, just for poops and giggles? Only takes a few minutes and will rule out one possible problem....

You don't need the "whole system" replaced...that's what someone does who doesn't know how to properly diagnose the problem and wants to just rule absolutely everything out. I dunno, maybe he's thinking that the compressor took a dump and the system is full of shrapnel, but if that were the case, the high side should be low, and your ac wouldn't be blowing cold air...
NOT NECESSARILY SO...... I replaced the compressor on my wifes Z 24 last summer. It was cooling fine....right up to the point it locked up!
These compressors use a swash plate to vary the displacement depending on RPM. when this speed sensing fails, you get some odd characteristics leading up compressor failure. I wonder does the comressor make any unusual noise, or is the normal sounds louder than before?
I try to follow the KISS principal (keep it simple stupid) but sometimes with all the technology on modern machinery, it does get complicated.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mike058
These compressors use a swash plate to vary the displacement depending on RPM....
That's news to me. I understand how a swash plate compressor works, but I'd like to know how this mechanism that varies the displacement works. And since the BTU output of a compressor rises and falls as rpm rises and falls, would the variable displacement feature be designed for maximum displacement at the lowest rpm? Hmm...
Old 08-13-2011, 01:00 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike058
NOT NECESSARILY SO...... I replaced the compressor on my wifes Z 24 last summer. It was cooling fine....right up to the point it locked up!
These compressors use a swash plate to vary the displacement depending on RPM. when this speed sensing fails, you get some odd characteristics leading up compressor failure. I wonder does the comressor make any unusual noise, or is the normal sounds louder than before?
I try to follow the KISS principal (keep it simple stupid) but sometimes with all the technology on modern machinery, it does get complicated.
Very interesting, good info