Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

trying a new synthetic oil.......and........are synthetic oils really synthetic oils?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:37 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default trying a new synthetic oil.......and........are synthetic oils really synthetic oils?

It seems like lately the price of "so called" synthetic oils has gone up quite a bit, so when it's oil change time I usually find either Mobil1 or Royal Purple on sale and just go with whatever is on sale. No sales this time ...................but I did find some Rotella 5w-40 synthetic at Walmart for 3.98 a quart so what the hell, I'll give it a try, besides, I've always read good things about Rotella, just never cared for the 15w-40 formulation, now it's available(at least locally to me) in the 5w-40.

something I read recently about our beloved synthetic oils I have paraphrased below:

The term synthetic oil for 90% of the manufacturers is nothing more than a marketing term (as defined in the court decision from their suit with Mobil)
Most oils calling themselves synthetic are really just highly refined mineral oils, check the technical specs online. Real ester synthetics have repeatedly proven to be an order of magnitude better than petroleum based products (even the PAO stuff) in several tests that go beyond the fluff they put in the marketing package. Ester also has an electrostatic property that makes it adhere to the surface of both ferrous and non ferrous metal, so it never allows any direct metal to metal contact (try to clean engine parts that were running Motul 300V, it requires lacquer thinner to break the oil tension from the surfaces)

thoughts?

Last edited by moregrip; 10-15-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody has dealt with increasing synthetic prices like me. November 1st will be the 3rd AMSOIL price increase this year. However, you must remember that when you wonder why are synthetics going up you must look at the entire manufacturing process. I do know that one of the major reason for the AMSOIL price increases is actually for the packaging of the products, ie: plastic bottles. Another issue is the transportation of materials to the plant in Superior, WI by rail and truck.

I do know that for once AMSOIL is priced the same or less than say Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you guys putting full synthetics in your trucks? I just did my first oil change and put full in it. They say you can up to 6000 mi. without changing your oil, but I still think I'll change mine earlier than that.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the oil may be rated for up to 15000 miles but how long is your oil filter rated for ???

hmmm....
Old 10-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nightrunner
the oil may be rated for up to 15000 miles but how long is your oil filter rated for ???

hmmm....
I change mine once a year. This time using TSO Series 2000 0w-30 and an EaO64 oil filter.

25,000 mile filter normal use or 15,000 in severe service - http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eao.aspx?zo=1436102
Old 10-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by o2man98
I change mine once a year. This time using TSO Series 2000 0w-30 and an EaO64 oil filter.

25,000 mile filter normal use or 15,000 in severe service - http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eao.aspx?zo=1436102
i wasnt aware of those filters but the general public just sees the 15k mile mobil1 oil at their local autozone or napa or etc. and think it is still safe to go 15k miles between oil changes on a fram or acdelco oil filter and some may still think that but i just dont trust it
Old 10-15-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's interesting. I just changed my oil last weekend. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic and got it for $2.88/ qt. so I was happy. I can't really tell much of a difference between it and regular motor oil except it looks a little cleaner when I change it. I change the filter every oil change as well.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by o2man98

WOOT WOOT!!!

Now theres someone who finally doesnt waste all of their money. 3000 mile oil changes are highly overrated, especially when my computer programmed by GM says to change every 6000.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Truck addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
It seems like lately the price of "so called" synthetic oils has gone up quite a bit, so when it's oil change time I usually find either Mobil1 or Royal Purple on sale and just go with whatever is on sale. No sales this time ...................but I did find some Rotella 5w-40 synthetic at Walmart for 3.98 a quart so what the hell, I'll give it a try, besides, I've always read good things about Rotella, just never cared for the 15w-40 formulation, now it's available(at least locally to me) in the 5w-40.

something I read recently about our beloved synthetic oils I have paraphrased below:

The term synthetic oil for 90% of the manufacturers is nothing more than a marketing term (as defined in the court decision from their suit with Mobil)
Most oils calling themselves synthetic are really just highly refined mineral oils, check the technical specs online. Real ester synthetics have repeatedly proven to be an order of magnitude better than petroleum based products (even the PAO stuff) in several tests that go beyond the fluff they put in the marketing package. Ester also has an electrostatic property that makes it adhere to the surface of both ferrous and non ferrous metal, so it never allows any direct metal to metal contact (try to clean engine parts that were running Motul 300V, it requires lacquer thinner to break the oil tension from the surfaces)

thoughts?

looks like someone has been reading hotrod or super chevy magazine. nice article wasn't it.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:52 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by goshawk23
looks like someone has been reading hotrod or super chevy magazine. nice article wasn't it.
no, didn't read it there. Came up on a motorcycle forum I frequent....but anyway.....what issues was this info in?

Quick Reply: trying a new synthetic oil.......and........are synthetic oils really synthetic oils?