Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

twin turbo dakota r/t

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin turbo dakota r/t

I already posted this in the racer's lounge, but it was suggested i throw this up here too:
i said something in the lightning v srt10 thread about posting some pics of my brother in law's twin turbo set up.....i'm an idiot and can't get the images to come up, but i'll post the link.....he just got it back from the shop, and right now he's getting the exhaust coated and then it's still gotta get tuned, hopefully it'll be on the road within a month.....btw, it's a 408, and the truck also still has dvd/navigation, viper seats,full sound system, a/c, and a bunch of other junk......here's a few pics of the setup:
http://detroitwheeliedog.com/v-web/gallery/album02
Old 07-13-2004, 06:01 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks great, can't wait to hear how it runs.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

me either! i'll make sure to get some better pics and i'll post numbers and whatnot as they come in......who knows how long that will take, the turbo set up was supposed to take a few weeks and ended up taking a few months....but that's how it always goes, especially with a custom setup...by the way: your truck doesn't suck
Old 08-26-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, i said i'd keep you guys updated......when he got the truck back from the shop, we pulled the entire thing apart so he could have everything ceramic coated and he could put a built trans in.......he had oil coming out of the exhaust ports in the heads.....i guess the heads weren't machined right and oil was sitting on top and not draining or something......so they are going to be remachined and then he decided to pull the whole motor apart because it hadn't seem to run quite right before the turbo install and as long as he had it out of the truck, now was the time.......turns out he was losing compression in all cylinders....i guess the o rings are bad and he thinks the crank might have been out of balance as well........so it's all getting redone and rebalanced and his goal was to at least have it running by winter, but that will depend on how long the shop has the motor.......
Old 09-09-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, it's not going to be until next spring.....he's getting a new block....it looks like the shop who built the 408 for him 2 years ago left a lot of dirt inside, and the bearings are shot, the crank needs worked, and the orings are shot.......he's having the guy who fabbed up his turbo system(who's more into building engines) rebuild it, and he's going with a different gasket that intigrates the rings and he's gonna go with solid lifters....he's the opposite of happy right now....
Old 09-09-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

link no work
Old 09-09-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

the yahoo link? i don't know what's up with that.....i'll get the pics on my site and post the link....here you go....sorry the pics are small
http://detroitwheeliedog.com/v-web/gallery/album02
Old 10-27-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, he's a little happier now.......i guess muscle motors built his 408 and another kids and they both bit the dust.......he's getting an "R" block now and having some dude in minnesota build it....on the guys site there is a all motor truck running 12s.....the turbo system is all coated and ready to go(it looks nice), so he's just waiting for the engine, hopefully it'll be ready in the spring after the snow has come and gone.....he was ready to throw in the towel when he read the article on Parish!