Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

U.S. made rotors? Please come inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default U.S. made rotors? Please come inside.

My question is...does anybody make rotors for our trucks, (mine is a 04 2wd RCSB) in either the U.S. or say Canada?!?

I was told China or Taiwan rotors. I thought maybe ACDelco would be made here, but haven't gone to dealer yet.

I need front rotors, & really prefer not to give one RED cent to China. So far I've checked 2 places & it dosen't look good. I was even told by a saleman that some people wanted a better rotor, so he got em a BREMBO, said the box said Mexico &/ or others, Taiwan.

I said I thought Brembo was classically Italian. He said yes, they were. Now maybe that's where they( Brembo) were sourcing some rotors from. I gotta tell ya, I'm not gonna pay Brembo prices for made in Taiwan China.

I know some things are unavoidable as to not being U.S. or another country I'd support. Even tho electrical connectors & so forth say ACDelco, made in Mexico... that doesn't bother me ( it does but it doesn't) as much as when I'm buying brake parts in a country that gives little to concern to the well-being of the U.S. (yes, I mean CHINA) safety.

My hand may be forced but I'd like anyone's thoughts on my options.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:47 AM
12 Second Truck Club

too bad you dont need rears, I have BN take off set,from assembly row.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm not quite sure if these are U.S. manufactured but I am pretty positive that I read that they were. Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors, part #56825PL & 56825PR for your model year truck. I have installed these on my 2001 after my OEM rotors were only slightly used @ 136,000 miles, as I did not want to turn the rotors and have a thinner rotor that did not have the ability to cope with heat as well. These rotors ended up being about $120.00 cheaper for the pair over an O.E. set from the dealer, and let me tell you the quality on these is top notch! I don't see how these could have come from China. I used a set of O.E. pads with these as I did not want to chance anything after the original set on the truck lasted 136,000 miles with out complaint. As well as the O.E. version of the Raybestos / Performance Friction pads were only $20.00 cheaper, no reason not to get the Original Equipment pads from GM. These rotors are great, no noise, bed in with the O.E. replacement pads beautifully. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

good info
Old 03-15-2009, 03:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through 2 sets of factory rotors (front and rear) that were rusting away to nothing, one set got replaced under warranty at 11k and I did the second set at around 36.5k. I replaced them with cryogenically treated pads and slotted rotors that I got from Praise Dyno Brakes, a company in Texas. I believe that one of the sets (can't remember front or rear) were actually Brembo rotors that they must have slotted and treated. Not sure where they were originally sourced from, but they've lasted longer than the other 2 sets of rotors that I had on there. Been 5 years and counting so far...the original factory rotors aren't necessarily manufactured in the US. I know that my rear leaf springs were made in Mexico, it says it in big yellow letters lol.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by supersub
too bad you dont need rears, I have BN take off set,from assembly row.
What does BN stand for? Ya, I already did the rears I believe last yr about when I hit 50K. I thought it was really funny the rears wear before the front, when the majority of stoppin is done up front. My bro told me he read that it's common for rears to wear 1st on '02-04 Silvys. He said GM knows of the problem, but oh well...

Originally Posted by ForcedTQ
I'm not quite sure if these are U.S. manufactured but I am pretty positive that I read that they were. Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors, part #56825PL & 56825PR for your model year truck. I have installed these on my 2001 after my OEM rotors were only slightly used @ 136,000 miles,...These rotors ended up being about $120.00 cheaper for the pair over an O.E. set from the dealer, and let me tell you the quality on these is top notch! I don't see how these could have come from China. ...Hope this helps.
How in the world did you get 136K out of 1 set? As stated, did the rears ~50k, & now at ~57k, the fronts are shot. My bro was told by a parts guy, Raybestos were made here, IIRC. But I think he said either $73 or $93 per rotor. Meanwhile, down the street @ Murray's( Oreilly is the new name) his Raybestos were $26 ea. made in China. Now, whether it's the same P/n or not I have to check on Mon. Of course, the more expensive pric at the other store takes a week to get & he's unsure.

Do u recall how much for the pair?

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I went through 2 sets of factory rotors (front and rear) that were rusting away to nothing, one set got replaced under warranty at 11k and I did the second set at around 36.5k. I replaced them with cryogenically treated pads and slotted rotors that I got from Praise Dyno Brakes, a company in Texas. ...Not sure where they were originally sourced from, but they've lasted longer than the other 2 sets of rotors that I had on there. Been 5 years and counting so far...the original factory rotors aren't necessarily manufactured in the US. ...
Now here's a guy that's hard on brakes. Man, you had to have been pissed. 2 sets by 36.5k, that's insane. I'll check them out too. Now, 5 yrs. - that's impressive. Can you ballpark a figure on just rotor cost?

I already have a set of Hawk LTS pads on the rear, & when I purchased the pads for rr., I bought some Hawk pads for the front at the same time.

I appreciate any & all info you guys & others have given/ will give.

Last edited by fastnblu; 03-15-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea man I was pissed, and the pads had plenty of life too, just the rotors rusted all to heck. I've heard that the reason the rears wear out first on the trucks with 4 wheel disc is because road grime and moisture, etc. gets sloshed up on to the rear brake assemblies because the wheel well is basically a poor design. There used to be a TSB in reference to this, where there were/are some rubber "mudflaps" that are available that secure inside the front of the rear wheel wells to help keep the moisture and grime from the road from slinging on to the rear brake assemblies.

As for rotor pricing, when I got my brakes 5 years ago, I got front and rear pad sets, front and rear rotors, and rear e-brake shoes and the whole deal cost around $650. A little pricey by some folk's standards, but I've been happy with the results. Last year I installed Russell stainless steel brake hoses which definitely helped improve the brake pedal feel. I got their 5 hose kit from Summit Racing...I think that was about $130ish IIRC.

From what I've read the Hawk pads are pretty good, supposed to provide improved stopping over the OEM stuff, I don't recall reading about too many complaints of noise or excessive dust either, so hopefully those pads will work out good for you.

Oh yea, I think "BN" stands for "brand new"
Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
How in the world did you get 136K out of 1 set? As stated, did the rears ~50k, & now at ~57k, the fronts are shot. My bro was told by a parts guy, Raybestos were made here, IIRC. But I think he said either $73 or $93 per rotor. Meanwhile, down the street @ Murray's( Oreilly is the new name) his Raybestos were $26 ea. made in China. Now, whether it's the same P/n or not I have to check on Mon. Of course, the more expensive pric at the other store takes a week to get & he's unsure.

Do u recall how much for the pair?
Well, I'm not sure how I did it, but I believe in stripping the wheels off every other oil change, about 12,000 miles, and doing a brake inspection. Lubing up the slide pins, checking the piston operation/seals, cleaning the pad guide plates and applying new lube/anti-squeal to all applicable surfaces. I also do a full brake fluid flush / system bleed every other time I do a brake inspection. I guess I am just really detail oriented on the brake system because I know that when I am driving down I-5 at a high rate of speed and some ******* or trucker pulls a dick move I am going to need the brakes REAL BAD!! This just gives me peace of mind and helps keep them operating properly. I do believe that I use the brakes lightly as well, start stopping sooner, let off the gas, don't dive into turns hard on the brakes -this all seems to help make them last longer.

The cheap Raybestos rotors I wouldn't touch, I believe they are the PG Plus line, crap when compared side by side with the Advanced Technology line. I believe I payed 65.99 a piece for the rotors back in August of 2008, @ either Kragen or Napa, can't recall which. If you indeed have to order them, do it, they are worth the lead time wait. If I am wrong you can give me as much **** as you want . Have a good one!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
There used to be a TSB in reference to this, where there were/are some rubber "mudflaps" that are available that secure inside the front of the rear wheel wells to help keep the moisture and grime from the road from slinging on to the rear brake assemblies.

Oh yea, I think "BN" stands for "brand new"
-->BN. If you ever come across that TSB, I'd appreciate a TSB # if possible. Did they provide a GM p/n? Long as they're not too gawdy, I'd prolly try em. Plus, w/ my drop, it'd prolly hide easier than a stock height Silvy.

That's some good info I wasn't aware of. I'd be pissed to spend some $$$ on Baers for the rear to have them go prematurely due to a design flaw.

Originally Posted by ForcedTQ
...The cheap Raybestos rotors I wouldn't touch, I believe they are the PG Plus line, crap when compared side by side with the Advanced Technology line. I believe I payed 65.99 a piece for the rotors back in August of 2008, @ either Kragen or Napa, can't recall which. If you indeed have to order them, do it, they are worth the lead time wait. If I am wrong you can give me as much **** as you want . Have a good one!
You've got a great maintenance plan going, & some really good habits to extend the life of your pads. I told my bro about that (136k) & he said you prolly drive freeway & rarely hit brakes. I said he lives in CA, not MI...so I figured you're in constant stop & go. Hello? CA freeway?

So, they do have another product line. Aha! Time to check into this. I'll let y'all know how it plays out after my findings, if anyone's interested.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:23 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

I'll check for that TSB # tonight when I get home, I do believe that it included the part numbers. From what I can remember it was basically just rubber flaps and screws. tdrumm has some nice molded plastic covers in his wheel wells IIRC, I think that he got them from a member of FSC that was making them at one time.

Quick Reply: U.S. made rotors? Please come inside.