Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

U.S. made rotors? Please come inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a link to the bulletin that I was referring to, unfortunately it doesn't have pictures, but it does provide a part number: 15765007 = Flap Package - Rear Mud

http://www.carquest.com/common/downl...QB%2003-12.pdf

I used to have an AllData account and I printed a bunch of TSB's at the time, unfortunately I don't have a scanner or any way to scan the paperwork.

Ha, FWIW, the repair used to pay .6 labor under warranty...
Old 03-20-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Here's what I found. This is from several sources.

99% of rotors made in China. Casting process is very dirty, so the EPA kinda smashes the idea of doin casting here. Both parts store & Baer said that.

If I order Brembo, they could come from any of these 3: Brazil, China, or Mexico. I said which? Her reply, at Brembo, "we wouldn't know til order is placed. At that time, they could say which warehouse it'd come from."
Kinda defeats my purpose, knowin before & all.

I did find some made Down Under tho. ~$95 ea. I thought of tryin those. I know who carries that brand too. So, $190 (I believe shpg is free) for the Aussie rotors that fit in 16" wheels. Or prolly $2-300 ea. for Brembo. The Brembos are a "No!". I want to later get some big Baers that go inside a 17", but I prefer/ will prolly get 18" wheels. I can't afford Baers right now, nor the new tires/ wheels needed to tuck em in. So, short term: think it'll be Raybestos cheapest( might get their Advanced Tech) or try the Aussie ones. I know cheapies are in stock, so like most it comes to $; if I don't have to wait too long, I'll try better stuff.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

check out sp performance brakes, i had some on my dodge and loved them. cant count how many times i pulled in on a red hot summer day into a car wash and sprayed them and watched the steam sizzle off them and they never warped (which is why i replaced in the first place after turning stockers twice!) , not one problem. Ive looked and cant tell u if there made in the US, but give them a call and see.. they have slotted, drilled, and dimpled/diamond in any combination. I had slotted and dimpled and like i said awsome, i plan to buy from them again when i do need brakes for my gmc..
Old 03-20-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll check out what they have, but pretty confident on them not being from here. Stop sprayin hot rotors. BTW, if you're in a hurry to replace your brakes on your GMC, couldn't you just hose em down to give ya an excuse to replace em.

Your truck's a sweet color too.
You can't imagine how bad I want to have some great brakes. Some great tires & wheels to complement.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i dont know which brands are made in the US but i have 149k on my stock rotors adn they have never been turned to my knowledge (i bought the truck at 90k) i changed the pads for the first time 4-5 minths ago but they werent as bad as i though they were, could have driven on them for another year if i wanted to
Old 03-22-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying Ebc's on my ta. They're made in England. If they work out good, I'm going to try them out on my truck. When it does need brakes.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

454navyss, if you got 145k on original rotors, that's awesome. Maybe they were replaced before you bought. If not, super. My bro has done the brakes (can't remember if he did front, rear or both) on his 02 ECSB Silvy w/ 90k+ & know thinks he needs rears.

WhiteRhino, I thought EBC was Australia. Lemme know how they work out for ya. Are you getting the upgraded slotted or just stock replacement style?

Here's the deal. I had to get some cheap rotors since I'm broke. I could've gone to the real nice EBCs w/ all the bells & whistles, but since I later plan to upgrade, couldn't justify ~$200 ea. It's not in the budget, & will be replaced anyway.

I've learned this. For you guys who got many miles on your stockers, prevention is the best medicine. So, you either maintained/ periodically checked them or were just lucky. I can't remember if it was the outboard or inboard that wore( I believe it was both inside pads). But whichever (in or out) they wore out prematurely on both sides. I'm saying either both inner or both outer were worn down to the spots, while the opposite pad had lots of material. I think the slides that the pads ride in, need to be lubed now & then to get max pad life out of all 4 front pads.
I had to replace 1 guide pin too.