Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

uh oh! faint squeek noise coming from rear...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default uh oh! faint squeek noise coming from rear...

Okay... so its been some time since I have done any work to the truck that was major. Like maybe 3-4 months now. Recently at very low speeds I hear a faint squeek coming from the driver's side rear tire. I could only hear it if im really listening, if the winds not blowing, and if i stick my head out the window. Its not brake related, but it'll happen with the brakes on or off. I almost started to wonder if it was the parking brake.. but thats on the other side.

what could it be, the axle? Im going to jack up the *** end of it tomorrow and let the tires spin freely to see if i can pin point the noise.. bc i have no idea, it could be on both sides.. or maybe its not the drivers side at all.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing a rear u-joint is going out on ya. Thats what happened to me at first- just a faint noise that was oh-so hard to locate, and it only happened in reverse at first when going s-l-o-w and eventually it just was noisy all the time, so I put it on a lift at work, checked the rearmost u-joint (done by holding the pinion yoke so it wont move and rocking the driveshaft back and forth to see if theres play) and dust fell out of the caps, which I later realized was all that was left of the bearings, so it got replaced.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

ill check that thanks, didnt really think about that. We did the rear end install about 4 months ago...

i was actually thinking about replacing all the U-joints.. i seen them somewhere before for sale... anyone have a link to some aftermarket ones that are a bit stronger?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

also check your u bolts and spring, shock and swaybar bushings
Old 01-06-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

alrighty.. will do. I'm off to class than i'll check it at my shop afterwards.. i'll report back what i find. I'm really counting on that its that u-joint, lol.

also, i found this one on summit.. wanted to make sure its the right surface size
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...CN-235&FROM=MG
Old 01-06-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

ok.. so this is kinda weird.. its actually squeeking from the passenger side rotor... and i thought now for sure it was the axle.. but i got undernearth there and checked the driveshaft and the rear u-joints were a little rusted and what not.. so i sprayed some super penitrant on the rears and the fronts and than spun the tires freely while it was jacked up and the most annoying of the squeaking went away.

but it was still faint like it was a week ago, so i sprayed behind the rotor, like where that dust gaurd is or whatever it is and it completly went away. So idk why theres a squeek there as well. But anyway, im going to get new front and rear u-joints asap.

Question... do i need to take this to a machine shop to have them press the u joints in place? or can i just replace them w/o having to do that... if i remember they have to be pressed on, but i wasnt sure.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm 99% sure you need a press my driveshaft does but it's a rclb 1 piece aluminum shaft

i bet the squeak was from buildup of dust in the crack of the brake pad

-Erik
Old 01-06-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

ours ain't that easy Slow- The caps are held in by little plastic rods that must be melted, and than the u-joint cap can be pressed out.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

ahh crap, i was afraid they were the plastic **** ones. thx, i found a driveline shop to do it really cheap so no problems there. thanks again.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

replaced the front and rear u-joints, and had it balenced.. it drives a lot nicer now...

but.. the squeeking is still tere. I think im going to pull the rotor off and see if there is something making the noise there... now im starting to think its the axle again.

Quick Reply: uh oh! faint squeek noise coming from rear...