Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Upgrading speakers in Bose system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading speakers in Bose system?

I asked this on another site a while back, but wanted to hit the audio guys over here.

I've got an '04 truck here with the Bose stereo in it. I've been riding in a friends Jag a lot, that has a factory Alpine system in it. The difference between our systems is VERY apparent, to say the least.

While my volume level is just fine for me, I'm looking for more clarity. I do not want to touch anything but the speakers themselves. No HU's, no amps.

Are there any mid-priced speakers out there that would get me what I'm looking for... or is the issue with the HU and Bose/GM/whatever amp? I'll even be happy with a simple set of tweeters.

As for bass... has anyone modded the stock console sub for a slightly larger driver or anything that'd give me a little more bass down there? Or am I still stuck due to the other factory components? I don't want the big sub enclosure that takes up the storage area... I want to use the tiny stock Bose 'enclosure'.

I suppose I could go for some sound deadening in the doors, but I don't want to go overboard with the stuff. I'd like to see the gap around the door speakers filled up to isolate the fronts/backs of the speakers better... something that's relatively cheap/easy/free to do.

Thanks,
-marc
Old 10-04-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you want a lil more bass without sacrificing space, i'd say go for a bazooka tube. they have been around for awhile, and most people hardly use them anymore, but I heard one in a new malibu and it sounded really good with the head unit. the only problems with using the factory head units on any kind of amp/subwoofer combo is that you cant control the bass all that much.
i had 2 10" subs with a 200watt amp on a factory headunit before and the bass overpowered the music. As far as door speakers, I hear a lot of praise from the Boston Acoustic or Memphis brand. I dont have any personal experience with swapping out speakers, so this is all heresay.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the GM Bo$e system is like the ones in the Nissans and other vehicles.. good luck.. Basically in order to replace anything you have to replace everything.... if you do just speakers more than likely your HU will burn up.. unless its different.. i know my friend had some speakers installed in his truck (subs) and the bose system would kill the bass the higher the volume got.. they had to do somethig to get around it but not sure.. ill see if i can find out..
Old 10-04-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ridnlow
Basically in order to replace anything you have to replace everything...

This is what I have been told so that's why I have not touched anything and won't until I get a new truck.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys...

Good call about the Bazooka, Ill... That's a good option for me right now.

RideN' - Yeah, bass does get pulled out when the volume gets over like, halfway or so. That doesn't bother me a whole lot... if I can just have a little more 'substance' to the bass, I'll be happy. I don't want anything serious... just a compliment to the stock system. (if I can call it that. )