Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

VortecMAX/LQ9 swap help, lots of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VortecMAX/LQ9 swap help, lots of questions.

Ok guys, I got a Lq9 for 700 after negotiation plus taxes Plus 3 month warrany. Motor has 75k miles on it. I want to do as little as possible to get it in my truck and runing well, and have the dependability that I require. I need to keep cost to the minimum, I plan to do the swap myself. I know that I need it tuned for the 6.0. I have a local tuner. I plan to reuse the 6.0 injectors off the melted intake manifold. They look good, but Ill inspect closer.

The 1st thing I notice is that its DBW, but I know my intake and t-body will swap over. Cause it needs it literaly!
2nd thing I noticed is that the exhaust manifolds are slight different my 5.3 has a egr tube on the passenger side. The lq9 manifolds has none.
3rd I notice on the driver side of my lq9 the front and rear bolt on manifold is broke in the head (2), but the manifolds are still held tight by the other bolts. (do I worry about this, or will it be quite as I plan to leave them) My stock 5.3 even has 1 broken bolt as well. This is no where near the questions I have to ask yet, as I do this swap.

The engine is out of a 2004 Escalade 4x4, its going into my 2001 Tahoe 2wd. Here is my progress:

Broke off the melted plastic off this sucker.

With the crust ripped off, I can access the intake manifold bolts

Took the intake off, few mins ago engine looks awesome. Now I have to tape off, vacuum, clean, then vacuum some more.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

This is left from the melted intake, the bottom of the intake looks great, so do the injector nozzeles. Ill pull the injectors out in a few.

Now I got to tape up the intake ports on the heads, and vaccum the hell out of the block, then untape the ports, and vaccum inside the chamber for anything. Then tape it up tight.

What a steal for the price, once I got the intake off it..
Old 03-21-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would remove the manifolds and drill the broken bolts out now since inevitably you will want headers in the future and they will leak if you dont have all the bolts in.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't have bought that, but ok.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to swap the injectors off of the LQ9, they're the same lb/hr as the ones on your current intake.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I would remove the manifolds and drill the broken bolts out now since inevitably you will want headers in the future and they will leak if you dont have all the bolts in.
Good idea, cause its exactly what Ill be doing in the future. Especially after reading this link that shows how much it will wake up with a good exhaust. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ock/index.html

Originally Posted by budhayes3
No need to swap the injectors off of the LQ9, they're the same lb/hr as the ones on your current intake.
Great info, as I was not sure. So I should use my same intake, tbody and injectors. Then have my tuner dial it in?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I wouldn't have bought that, but ok.
Lol, thats the difference between you and me. Why spend 1grand on a cam swap, cam, lifter, pushrods, springs? When I can go from 285hp 5.3 to a 355hp (lq9 engine dyno) for 700$. Was more my train of thought, than doing a cam swap for a lot less gain. Now once the LQ9 is running well, then Ill do every bolt on to it for even more gains. Other Lq9s in my area are 1400$ starting with similar and more mileage than this. This was a no brainier.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Just re-use everything off of your 5.3. Intake fuel rails injectors and throttle body are all the same in those year models between the 5.3 and 6.0. The injectors are the same between your 5.3 and the 6.0 in that application. I would not trust salvage yard injectors after a fire that is an accident looking for a place to happen. It's straight forward use everything off your truck reflash the pcm for a 6.0 and everything will work fine. Done it before there should not be any snags that you will run into.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Just re-use everything off of your 5.3. Intake fuel rails injectors and throttle body are all the same in those year models between the 5.3 and 6.0. The injectors are the same between your 5.3 and the 6.0 in that application. I would not trust salvage yard injectors after a fire that is an accident looking for a place to happen. It's straight forward use everything off your truck reflash the pcm for a 6.0 and everything will work fine. Done it before there should not be any snags that you will run into.
Well said,I plan to use everything off the 5.3 including all sensors. Are the knock sensors the same? So the LQ9 has NO egr?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What I meant by that was I wouldn't have bought a motor with fire damage. Granted I can only see crappy quality pictures of the motor so it might not be so bad, but I'd be worried about possible heat related problems. Aluminum + excessive heat = bad news

Quick Reply: VortecMAX/LQ9 swap help, lots of questions.