Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Weight reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight reduction?

I know I don't post a lot, sorry �� and yes I know there's a search feature, and I know this thread has been made quite a few times. Hell I'm probably in the wrong section of the forums. ANYHOW.

My specific question pertaining to weight reduction is this: are the front bumpers worth removing? They look damn heavy. While I'm waiting on my transmission to be built and parts to come In, I've been playing with weight reduction. Is there a lightweight alternative to the heavy *** (looks heavy at least) front bumper? I've had a ss bumper cover for the past 2 years so its dirty. Should I clean it and make it shine or should i toss it?

Ive done a few more things but if you guys have any other weight reduction tips they are always welcome.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really depends on how far you want to go. Things like rims and tires can save you weight. What I have done with my truck so far is ditch a/c spare tire rear bumper (roll pan now) relocated battery behind rear axle and under bed. At the track passenger seats come out and center console. I don't have any subs or crazy sound system. Next im planning for a fuel cell to help with weight transfer. There are a ton of things you can do. Sometimes removing crap isn't good though a buddy took out a crossmember and just twisted his frame. Im planning on andding a little strength to mine.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relocating crap can be just as good as cutting weight. Trucks have no weight on the rear so push some crap behind the axle. Me personally I wouldn't remove my front bumper. I like my truck looking sleek. But If you can find a nice lightweight replacement go for it. good luck I have yet to find one
Old 06-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not going to chop away at the frame if I can help it.

Anyone know the weight of a RCSB base model? I've done the normal things like spare, doors, roll pan, even switched mirrors because they were a little lighter. At the track my seat is the only thing in it. I'm working on a battery relocation and a fuel cell under the bed. I'm thinking about getting a lighter hood. Trying to lose weight before I put in the turbo system, 408, 4l80e, and probably a roll cage because rules are lame. They're a lil heavier than what's in it now. I'm looking at either 17s or alloy 18s / MT's for the strip.
As far as the bumper I've just been trying to find something different. It's either Chrome or SS cover and I'm a little tired of both tbh. Same with my hood. I can't find a hood that doesn't look gaudy on these trucks to save my life.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front coil overs can save some weight. Lighter control arms. Remove sway bar(s) and trailer hitch if you have one. Lighter wheels can really help too.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got any more pics of your grill? I've never seen one with the center bar removed.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Sway bars I'd prefer to keep. I'm not super desperate. I'm just tryin to get a little lighter. Cause I have no scales around here (I live in bum **** nowhere). I'm not sure what a base model 2000 rcsb would weigh.

The grill here ya go. Truck is going in paint (again) so I have no better pics, sorry. Ill probably go back to the Bow tie grill, too, when I change bumpers . Ignore the Harley f150 in the background. Friends have no sense around here.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a guy from CAG Racing who lightened a RCSB quite a bit....
Old 06-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Lmao I saw that thread before. No thanks, ill be nice because the guy had good intentions but... I couldn't be paid to sit in it. Don't need weight reduction THAT bad.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is that grill custom, or did you buy it somewhere?

Quick Reply: Weight reduction?