Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What can be done with a 89-98 silverado?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can be done with a 89-98 silverado?

People here are probably sick of my questions but hey, newbie trying to learn.

Say I bought a silverado from that time. It's a 350 shortblock 4WD.

I know the TBI sucks, but it is a smallblock underneath it after all

to swap to a LT1/LS1 you'd obviously have to change the wiring too.

What can be done with a shortblock? how fast? times?

What about a big block swap? How hard would that be?

What kind of tranny are in those trucks? How much power do they hold up to?

Thanks to anybody who answers
Old 04-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

i'm mainly thinking a 383 stroker would be good. how much horsepower and what times would it pull and for what cost?

does it have to be carbed? i'd prefer FI
Old 04-22-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've done everything possible in a tbi version of that truck, i made like 360 hp, 400+ ft/lbs....... if you really wanna have a nice truck, tbi makes a ton of torque, for cheap, and it's a relatively easy system to work with. people hate it because it runs dirty and isn't efficient. i got about 15 mpg with 3.08 gears, so if you had gear, you'd be around 11-12 probably in my guess. i know a ton... so really what i wanna know is what your usage is gonna be, and then i can steer you in the right direction. Also, give me a ballpark of how much money you wanna spend, and how "correct" you want to do the job. basically.. it's around 5 grand for brand new long block and all bolt ons, to make the power i made. i can let ya know more, if you want.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

well i'd want something that would take out most cars. a fast street truck and daily driver

should i forget it about it and get something newer eventually? i'd have to do it in steps either way

is the potential there for sub 12s?

i know the TPI cars ran out of steam at above 4500 rpm

are the TBI trucks the same way? what would have to be done to fix this kind of issue?
Old 04-22-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

by the way, i ran the old version of the 4l60e, built with b&m performance internals, (kevlar band, raybestos friction material, etc.... corvette servo, and street/strip shift kit) and i was barking third grear for 30,000 miles before i sold the truck. this older version of hte transmission is built directly off the th700r4, except with an electronic valve body. it held up great. as for times.. i never took it to the strip. it was in a 2wd, longbed 1500. i've helped design and build 4 tbi systems for friends of mine who are really into 88-95 tbi trucks, and i'll be honest, the only mistake i ever made ,was on mine, because it was first, and that mistake was to buy a 8.5:1 compression longblock. tbi requires at least 9:1 compression, and the holley bolt on tbi unit sucks ***. i've learned from others too. the best power for the dollar is a vortec heads setup. Edelbrock makes a multipoint efi conversion kit, or you can just buy a high flow tbi setup from Turbocity.com... they sell everything for tbi. chips, high flow throttle bodies, flow matched injectors, map adjusters, high pressure pumps..... you n ame it, they got it, and they know what they're doing over there. vortec is a whole dif ballgame with boltons though, (intake/headers, etc... because of egr provisions) hope i've given you a little bit to think about..... i have a wealth of knowledge to share on this...... so ask away, cause i could just keep on talking numbers........................
Old 04-22-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can make tbi run to 5500 with computer, cam, injectors, throttle body, intake, headers and heads, no problem. the biggest issue is stock heads, they have a ramp on the intake port, it's an early vortec style head, they tried to creat a sort of swirl, which makes a ton of torque, but shuts down at 4200. if you change heads, to say vortec or world s/r torquers, you're good to whatever you build your lower end for. you just have to increase air flow through the engine, with intake, throttle body, and headers. and then fuel with the injectors and fuel pump. i'd say the fastest naturally aspirated, fully built tbi truck, might run in the 13's, depending on weight, traction and gears...... but who knows, some playing and dedication could beat that.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

please, keep talking man. i'm interested in this stuff a lot

im graduating high school in a month and moving to kentucky after the fall.

i'll either be able to

a) buy a newer truck and eventually turbo

or

b) buy a cheaper one now (TBI silverado) and mod the hell out of it N/A and hopefully get some sick power for the same or less price than a newer truck
Old 04-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

ok what about converting the tbi to something else or a different engine swap? what kind of power/price/streetability am i looking at?

i really appreciate the help
Old 04-22-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

as for daily driver.. awsome... very very reliable fuel injection system. basically it's an electronic carburator. very simple. ther'es only a map sensor, and throttle position sensor, a temp sensor, and a 02 sensor..... that's all the computer really reads. quite simple..... most of it's run off of base values, so it's not too finicky, as long as you do it right. like i said, i made the mistake of running low compression (with 2.02 valves, and huge runners... i tried to make it rev.......) and the holley tbi...... holley sucks *** for street use. only wot did it work, but it sure sung then.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

im going to eventually want a LOT of power. i dont think 400tq and sub 400 horse is going to cut it in a fullsize truck

Quick Reply: What can be done with a 89-98 silverado?