Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What do you use to protect your truck from theft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What do you use to protect your truck from theft?

Hopefully I will be driving my truck soon and my biggest worry is it getting broken into AGAIN or worse getting stolen with all the money I have poured into it. Im definately going to install some kind of kill switch, I already ahve a two way alaram but I think Im going to replace it since its about 4 year old technology and I want the best thats out. I also plan on installing lo-jack just for the extra assurance. What is the best alarm out there? I know there are ways around alarms and all but I would like to have the best out there regardless in the hopes that the theif that tries my truck doesnt know how to out-smart it.....yet. Just need suggestions, besides sitting in it with my .40 cal.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right, the .40 is weak, I use a Remm 870 short barrel.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you carry full coverage don't worry about it,if you don't price all the crap your about to dump into it and look at the numbers. Check out progressive for full coverage. They give you an instant quote online.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey cody,
What about a Battery Wire Kill switch or something?
Kindof like what the NHRA cars have. So when they arent running it they can turn the switch off and kill all power to the car.

Hide the switch somewhere or something.

Thats what i always thought about doin.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:20 PM
9 Second Truck Club

I have a friend that removes two spark plug wires. Its not the best way and I havent done it but I bet the truck would run like **** without two cylinders.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:26 PM

Actually the 40 cal isnt weak at all. The army replaced the venerable 45 with it IIRC.

Im not going to pull spark plug wires. Mainly what Im worried about is when Im out on a date and the truck is sitting out in the movie theatre(or wherever) parking lot I dont want some hoodlums to take off with my truck. The battery cutoff deal is a good idea but I have an Alpine 7" indash touch screen and I would have to reset everything each time I cut power.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

na man, just run your memory wire to the battery some how.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:52 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Actually the 40 cal isnt weak at all. The army replaced the venerable 45 with it IIRC.

Im not going to pull spark plug wires. Mainly what Im worried about is when Im out on a date and the truck is sitting out in the movie theatre(or wherever) parking lot I dont want some hoodlums to take off with my truck. The battery cutoff deal is a good idea but I have an Alpine 7" indash touch screen and I would have to reset everything each time I cut power.
Hey I was J/K, I worry about losing my ride too and all the parts that the Ins. Co. wont cover So I would like to learn from this thread too!

BUT FYI, the 9mm and the .40 cal were adopted by the armed services because some personel (read females) were incapable of operating the slide of a .45 comfortably and it was a heavy piece.
Some branches of the armed services have reveted back to the .45 since.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a kill switch on my truck. I just put a switch in series with the starter and hid the switch. Really easy to do.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by trever1t
Hey I was J/K, I worry about losing my ride too and all the parts that the Ins. Co. wont cover So I would like to learn from this thread too!

BUT FYI, the 9mm and the .40 cal were adopted by the armed services because some personel (read females) were incapable of operating the slide of a .45 comfortably and it was a heavy piece.
Some branches of the armed services have reveted back to the .45 since.
My grandpa had a 45, my dad has a 9mm and I have a 40cal. The 45 definately kicks more. My dad also has a 454 cusul(sp?) revolver and that bitch will put a dent between your eyes if you arent prepared for it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, keep em coming.

The kill switch Im going to be using, you hold down the lock button while cranking or any other switch you want to connect it to. Its easy to install and fairly hidden.

Quick Reply: What do you use to protect your truck from theft?