Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

what kind of lubricants do you use

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default what kind of lubricants do you use

i normally use Castrol GTX engine oil, Coastal transmission fluid and i forget whar gear oil i an running but i am thinking about switching everything to Amsoil when i put a new engine in my truck. it looks like it would cost me a little over $200 to switch everything but if it reduces wear and i only have to change it once a year its worth it IMO. does anyone have any first hand info on using their products?

and if i switch i will probably become an Amsoil dealer so i get a discount and can sell stuff to make a little extra money. let me know what you think
Old 08-18-2010, 05:54 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lots of guys run and swear by Amsoil. I run M1. It's all the same IMO if you maintain your fluids. I know some guys go as far as sending samples for analysis, I just change it every ~5K miles whether it needs it or not
Old 08-18-2010, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

i drive a lot so spending $30-$40 every month or two for an oil change gets expensive, i can switch everything over for $263.99 (engine oil, filter, trans fluid, differential fluid, posi additive, and grease) from the prices they have listed on their page, thats less then i spend in a year on oil changes. i have never heard anything bad about amsoil that is why i am considering them, and every oil change after that will be about the same cost as 2-3 oil changes regularly. the fact that i can become a "dealer" and make a little money.

just looking for other member's input
Old 08-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run mobil 1. change it whenever I feel it needs changed, could be 3K, could be 10. Wix filter. of course I have to run GM's fluid for transfer case as there is no equivalent, uhhh....whatever I can find in the right weight for the front and rear diff.....also whatever I can find on transmission oil....

Honestly if you just keep it changed reg then no worries, my uncle is a dealer for amsoil but I can never get a hold of him, its easier to run to oreillys right down the road and buy 6 qts of M1 for like $30 bucks. I've run M1 all these yrs mainly because my dad runs it in his 8 sec race cars and I grew up around that plus they run it in ****** nascar it cant be wrong lol. (btw nascar is boring as hell)
Old 08-18-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

Currently Amsoil but I've run M1 and Castrol synthetics a lot too.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mobil for everything usually. In my car I use either Rotella or Joe Gibbs.

IMO if you change it regularly you won't have any problems, regardless of the brand. Engine oil has come along way, and today's standards are pretty high.

I've never used Amsoil so I can't comment on that, but I do know there are ALOT of people that swear by it.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

i do change the fluids regularly and havent had any problems but it seems Amsoil would be more cost effective than conventional oil and theoretically there would be less wear on internal parts
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Amsoil is a small company with only blending facilities, they don't have refineries to produce synthetic base stock oils.. Who do they buy these pao base stock oils from???

Their major supplier of PAO base stock is Exxon/Mobil, the largest producer of synthetic oils in the world. They purchase some Group III base stocks from Shell, Petro Canada, and others. About 90% of their additive packages come from Lubrizoil.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have always read it was a bad idea to use synthetic transmission fluid... If i am not mistaken our sponsor recommend regular trans fluid...
Old 08-18-2010, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I have always read it was a bad idea to use synthetic transmission fluid... If i am not mistaken our sponsor recommend regular trans fluid...
Beginning in 2006 GM went to Dexron V1. GM no longer licenses Dexron 111 and does not support it. This is a semi synthetic and is backwards compatible with all older GM transmissions.

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...dexron-vi.html

Quick Reply: what kind of lubricants do you use