GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What oil? Tired of searching.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheatley
amsoil 10w-30 here
Why did you choose amsoil? All I hear from them is that you can go 25k on an oil change. Im not interested in that. Im interested in performance and protection.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its really a preference thing. I used to put standard mineral oil and it ran fine, changed every 3-3.5K. I just put in amsoil 10w 30, and Im gonna use the oil life moniter, and see what it looks like when it says to change it.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not interested in drain intervals like that either.LOL Crazy if you ask me
I chose them because of several oil analysis tests I sent to a lab using amsoil and Mobil 1.I chose the amsoil after the results came back.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

I chose them because of several oil analysis tests I sent to a lab using amsoil and Mobil 1.I chose the amsoil after the results came back.
Yeah I think its a little long to go on an oil change too. I might go 10k but that would be changing the filter like 3 times.

What about royal purple though? Did you match amsoil against it?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 03GMC
Yeah I think its a little long to go on an oil change too. I might go 10k but that would be changing the filter like 3 times.
Can't really do that without changing the oil.

I use penzoil or valvoline full synthetic 5w30. Whenever the Change Oil light comes on the first time I just press the gas three times and wait another 7 or so thousand miles. So I go usually 15k between oil changes. The truck has 265k on it and still runs as good as ever. This whole change the oil every 3k miles is a scam that Jiffy Lube and the like do so they can change women's oil more often. Synthetic is synthetic its all good.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

I have always used Mobil 1 but after seeing some test results with there new formula I am switching to RP, I got the RP on the shelf in the garage waiting to go in.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maximumrebel1
Can't really do that without changing the oil.

I use penzoil or valvoline full synthetic 5w30. Whenever the Change Oil light comes on the first time I just press the gas three times and wait another 7 or so thousand miles. So I go usually 15k between oil changes. The truck has 265k on it and still runs as good as ever. This whole change the oil every 3k miles is a scam that Jiffy Lube and the like do so they can change women's oil more often. Synthetic is synthetic its all good.
Why cant you just put on a new filter? I did it a month ago after switching to synthetic oil just to make sure that the filter wasn't clogged with junk from starting to use synthetic. Heard once you switch to a synthetic to change the oil filter about a 1000 miles after because synthetic cleans the motor out. Anyhow I put on the new filter and the oil level went down 2 circles on the stick, not much. Oh and by the way I work at an oil change shop, Penzoil is our sponsor and I would never put it in my vehicle. Quaker is also Penzoil, same company.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will doin analysis between Amsoil and Royal Purple soon in our tahoe.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 03GMC
Why cant you just put on a new filter? I did it a month ago after switching to synthetic oil just to make sure that the filter wasn't clogged with junk from starting to use synthetic. Heard once you switch to a synthetic to change the oil filter about a 1000 miles after because synthetic cleans the motor out. Anyhow I put on the new filter and the oil level went down 2 circles on the stick, not much. Oh and by the way I work at an oil change shop, Penzoil is our sponsor and I would never put it in my vehicle. Quaker is also Penzoil, same company.
Right you just have to add some to it. BTW what is the beef with penzoil? Also I had never heard anything about changing the filter so often with synthetic but then again I don't work at a shop either.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Charley - Can you tell us more about the tests that you ran? Thanks.

Yogi

Quick Reply: What oil? Tired of searching.......