Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

What triggers the change oil light ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What triggers the change oil light ?

Does it get turned on by a number or hours or some kind of calculation of engine rpms? or is the some kind of sensor in the oil?

I'm just wondering cause, I put in Mobil 1 synthetic and a high milage filter to get me through the winter but I'm at around 3300 miles and my change oil light came on. wtf?

That oil should be good for at least 6000k right?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:33 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all dpends on how it breakes down

with stock oil it came on at 35XX, with valoline syn it came on at 3800

i ran royal purple and one time it came on at 4200, then next time it came on at 51xx, hell one time it came on around 5500.......everytime i had different driving techniques

when i put the 6.0 in with regular oil it would pop up around 3200

so gives you an idea
Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Found this at another forum...
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....ne_oil_already

Originally Posted by Rotorwrench @ chevytruckworld.com

This is from GM Tech Line.

How often should engine oil be changed?

- 3,000 miles (5000 km)
- 5,000 miles (8000 km)
- 7,500 miles (12000 km)
- 10,000 miles (16000 km)

Actually, all of these are correct, depending on operating conditions. Oil life is affected by many factors other than just miles driven. The type of driving, temperature, and engine load all play a part.

That’s why GM has developed the GM Oil Life System, an electronic watchdog that keeps track of all these variables and notifies the driver when it’s time to change oil. (fig. 1) We first told you about the GM Oil Life System in the March 2000 TechLink. Since then, the system has become standard equipment on nearly all GM products.

Briefly, the Oil Life System is programmed with a certain number of engine revolutions. As the engine runs, this number is reduced until it reaches zero, and the Oil Life light or message comes on. But there’s more. Operating the engine under low or high temperatures, and under high load conditions subtracts (penalizes) extra revolutions, so the light comes on sooner.

Changing engine oil according to actual need rather than an inflexible schedule provides several benefits.

First is simpified determination about when to change oil. No more decisions about “normal” conditions vs. “severe” conditions. Second is reduced operating costs for GM’s customers, who now have to change oil only when it’s needed. Third is minimizing the amount of used oil that must be disposed of. And fourth, engines will always be running with sufficiently fresh oil, for long life.

These benefits will be realized only if engine oil is actually changed as indicated by the GM Oil Life System.

Some customers “get it” when it’s explained to them. Others may be reluctant to deviate from traditional oil change interval charts. So, part of the responsibility falls on retail service people to help get the message out.

TIP: To help you do this, an IDL broadcast is being prepared. Consult the GM Training Program Guide and Schedule for “Understanding the GM Oil Life System” (PPS03.P1D).
Old 02-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

good info... I always knoew it counted revlutions but I didnt know it could factor in for load, temp etc... Thanks!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

That is why you can just change the oil when the computer says so. Its much smarter than you. You are just throwing away money if you dont.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only thing is that the computer does not adjust it's calculations for Synthetic oil, which out last conventional oil by double the mileage.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is some more good info on the GMOLS.

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...qa_040104.html
Old 02-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

That was pretty informative, I was wondering about the same thing.
Thats good to know. I was going to change my oil myself but have no clue how to reset the code.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so am i being pointless changing my oil every 2500?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can still change your oil as you feel fit, but going by the GMOLS will maximize the the use of the oil and minimize the amounts of oil disposed of.

Quick Reply: What triggers the change oil light ?