Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Where to Buy Flywheel Holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 10:39 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

This harmonic damper pulley holding tool has been developed to aid in the removal and installation of the crank bolt on Gen III engines
These damper pulleys need a special tool to hold the pulley stationary for the center bolt to be removed
The bolt is extremely tight and without the SCH62800, removal is extremely difficult at best
In replacing the center bolt after installation of the pulley, factory specifications require 240 pounds of torque to seat the pulley properly
This tool allows the factory torque to be attained
This holding tool works with the following engines: 1997 and later Gen III 5.7 L V-8 Camaro, Corvette, Firebird, and Trans AM
Old 11-24-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M-kay.

A 30" prybar wedged through the spokes in the balancer and proped against the alternator works just fine and saves money....but if you think buying a specialty tool for something like this makes you feel like you are doing a better quality cam install then you need to make sure you hang your pinky high while you sip your bud light during the install....it makes it taste better.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
I always loved a good thread whoring! Honestly i'm new to the gen3 mods but from my previous knowledge the crank did stick much further out from the belhousing mounting surface than the late gen3's. From what my best guess would be is the gen1/2 style tranny should work fine with the early long rear flanged gen3 crank. They also used a spacer on the cranks after they shortened them for use with the older syle trannys. My best guess would also be that you would need a gen3 style flywheel. My 2005 4.8 used a pressure plate with the same bolt pattern as a 65 chevy. I put my 05 clutch on my 95 truck flywheel and am still driving it today. Anyhow, I don't know some of this info for sure but just giving where I would start if I were in your shoes.
ALLRIGHT STOP THE BUS
I am all fucked up ,who do i have this guy mixed up with?I am going by his truck Pic thinking someone I thought did a name change.Who has a truck like this that started with a gibbs truck and has been on this forum for a while?
Howard? is that the guy?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok Moregrip............which one of those tools will allow the removal and install of the crank pulley?
Do I need the Mac one and the Kent Moore?

Jim
Old 11-25-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Question

Originally Posted by moregrip

This harmonic damper pulley holding tool has been developed to aid in the removal and installation of the crank bolt on Gen III engines
These damper pulleys need a special tool to hold the pulley stationary for the center bolt to be removed
The bolt is extremely tight and without the SCH62800, removal is extremely difficult at best
In replacing the center bolt after installation of the pulley, factory specifications require 240 pounds of torque to seat the pulley properly
This tool allows the factory torque to be attained
This holding tool works with the following engines: 1997 and later Gen III 5.7 L V-8 Camaro, Corvette, Firebird, and Trans AM
Who makes this one?

Jim
Old 11-25-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
ALLRIGHT STOP THE BUS
I am all fucked up ,who do i have this guy mixed up with?I am going by his truck Pic thinking someone I thought did a name change.Who has a truck like this that started with a gibbs truck and has been on this forum for a while?
Howard? is that the guy?
Yeah, this is that guy.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Angry

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
Yeah, this is that guy.
Damn thread thieves!!!!!!!!

Jim
Old 11-25-2006, 08:53 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the looks of the second one, you don't even need to remove the starter to use it if just doing a cam swap. The first one looks like it locks on the flywheel somewhere possibly?

The second one can probably be wedged against the frame or ground while you break the crank bolt loose, and when you go to install a new crank bolt...Looks like a KD Tool possibly. Hopefully Grippy will post up the manufacturer and a round-about price
Old 11-25-2006, 09:04 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the second one pictured, it's made by Schley, model number 62800....CHEVY6000VHO, I'm sending you a PM...
Old 11-25-2006, 09:56 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Who makes this one?

Jim
I'll send you a PM with the links, I haven't seen them before but they seem to be fairly new designs.

Quick Reply: Where to Buy Flywheel Holder