Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Where's the coolant leak in my 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 03:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's the coolant leak in my 5.3?

I hate to make my first post a thread asking for help, but maybe you guys wont mind.

I've got a 2000 Sierra and over hte last year or so I keep getting the "Low Coolant" light on the dash after running for a while. At first it would happen once a month or so, at most. It's gotten more and more frequent to where it happens almost every time I drive it, but always after a few minutes of driving.

I never noticed my coolant being very low, combined with the fact that my temps hover right around 195-200 (Im assuming the 'stat is set around there?) and it never gets hotter than that regardless of how many times that light comes on, so I just assumed it was some sort of silly sensor going crazy.

Well I went to change the oil in it the other day and I found some antifreeze leaking down the back of the oil pan. At least it's not a slowly failing headgasket or something, so I actually felt a little better about actually finding a leak. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good look at where it was coming from, and I haven't been able to figure it out. I just cant get a good look at the back of the motor. Do you guys know of any typical leaks that manifest around that area? I was thinking maybe an intake manifold leak or something. But maybe a leaky heatercore somehow manages to leak back there also? Im not really sure. Im doubting a freezeplug rusted through... and other than that I'm at a loss.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem last year. There is a tube underneath the intake that runs between the heads. It forms an x in the middle. Mine had a small crack in the weld and the leak slowly got worse. It took me a couple off months to find it.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
I had the same problem last year. There is a tube underneath the intake that runs between the heads. It forms an x in the middle. Mine had a small crack in the weld and the leak slowly got worse. It took me a couple off months to find it.
Marietta eh? I'm from Macon.

That sounds like a pretty good lead. How expensive is this tube? It's way too cold for me to go out there poking around on it right now, does the whole intake need to be replaced (you mentioned welds...) or what? Hopefully after I go look at it agian things will become clearer, though.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:35 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check your water pump gaskets....they are famous for leaking on the early trucks.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
check your water pump gaskets....they are famous for leaking on the early trucks.
I will almost bet that is the prob, I have read over over again about them, that was what was wrong with mine. Give it a check

John

Last edited by Mangled03gmc; 11-09-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM
9 Second Club

Default coolant leak

this must be a popular prob. mine is leakin from the driver side waterpump gasket. i had to remove the plastic brush gaurd to find it and even when i did that it was still a bi*#h to see it.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Your gaskets will most likely look like this.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
He said it was leaking at the back of the oil pan, though...would it travel that far, do you think? Just wondering.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TarheelZ
He said it was leaking at the back of the oil pan, though...would it travel that far, do you think? Just wondering.
Yeah exactly. I would have thought the same thing if it had been leakng at the front.

Whatever it is, it's a very, very, very slow leak, and that one time on the back of the oilpan is the ONLY time I've ever seen it. I've looked since and seen nothing.

I dont know, maybe it is travelling all the way around? Stranger things have happened... I'll give it a look.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
Yeah exactly. I would have thought the same thing if it had been leakng at the front.

Whatever it is, it's a very, very, very slow leak, and that one time on the back of the oilpan is the ONLY time I've ever seen it. I've looked since and seen nothing.

I dont know, maybe it is travelling all the way around? Stranger things have happened... I'll give it a look.
Mine was a really slow leak and I could only find water and coolant on the oil pan at the back.

Quick Reply: Where's the coolant leak in my 5.3?