Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Who has used their magnacharger powertrain warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who has used their magnacharger powertrain warranty?

I was just wondering how many people have actually used their warranty from magnacharger. Also, how much of a hassle was it if any? i would just like to know any good or bad experiences with it. Thanks

Aaron
Old 11-26-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimbo95z28
I was just wondering how many people have actually used their warranty from magnacharger. Also, how much of a hassle was it if any? i would just like to know any good or bad experiences with it. Thanks

Aaron
Does this mean no one has ever used it? Come on guys...
Old 11-26-2004, 03:02 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

haven't installed mine yet....
Old 11-26-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

I was wondering the same thing. It seems that a lot of guys are blowing up their 60e's, so why wounldn't $200 be a good investment in getting your trans fixed. Is blownchevy around, I'm sure he knows the answer.

Jeff
Old 11-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Launching!

i think its in the small print of the warranty. you can not have any other mods, no pulley change or tuning. nothing, no headers, no nothing. or warranty is void. you would be hard pressed to find a radix owner with no mods in here.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still hoping to because I am very interested to know.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:49 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have used the warranty for my blown 4l60E. Very intersting and a bit of a complicated process, but it helped. Heres how it went down.

BEFORE THE WORK WAS STARTED...
After I blew the transmission I called DelAuto Warranty and stated that my transmission had failed to operate in 3rd and overdrive. They told me that I had to take it to a shop that was certified by one of the transmission boards, in my case it was the ATRA (Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association), but there are several different boards. I had to fax proof of oil changes every 4,000 miles to the warranty people. Before they started work on the trans, I was informed that they would pay a maximum of $60/hr for the work (this $60/hr is the part of the fine print that says negotiated rate or agreed upon rate). This really pissed me off for 2 reasons. 1 because the transmission shops here in the Bay Area charge around $90/hr which meant I was going to have to pay $30/hr for every hour worked on my trnasmisson. 12hrs @ $30 is $360.00 before work was even started. 2 because there is a $2000 maximum for a trans rebuild on the warranty, and I only used like around $1100 of it. So I had to come up with the additional $700.00 whick brought the grand total to a little less than $1900.

THE TEARDOWN
I then gave the transmission shop authorization to tear down my transmission to inspect it. They tore it down and then waited around 2 days for the warranty adjuster to inspect the transmission. They use the Mitchell Flat Rate repair manual for the labor aspect of the transmission rebuild. As far as the parts, no problems. The adjuster had no problem authorizing all of the parts to be changed except the filter which as not a big deal to me. *note* The warranty people were going to allow me to ay the difference in parts to have upgraded parts which I thought was cool.

THE REBUILD
The transmission builder started to rebuild the transmission and went way over on time. Like by 3.5 hrs. I don't have a mitchell manual, so I don't know what the flat rate for a trans job is. When I contacte the warranty people, and explained that time went over, they basically said, "so what." I was upset because there was around $850.00 left on my warranty that was not used. I had only used like around $1150 of my warranty. So I had to come up with 3.5hrs @ 90/hr $315.00.

IN THE END
I ended up paying a litle less than $750.00. $360.00 for the $30 discrepency from above and then the $315.00 for the time that went over. Total of $675.00 and a few parts brought the grand total to a little less than $750.00. It kinda sucks, but it is much better than nothing, or the $1900 that the grand total was. I know everybody is asking why I didn't shove all the 4L60E performance parts in there. I don't think the transmission will hold up in the long run once I start running more boost and possibly a little NOS. That and I drive pretty hard and tow a boat every other weekend during the summer. A 4l80E will be in there hopefully this Spring.

I think thats about everything. The truck was in the shop for a total of about 2 weeks. A little longer than average because the warranty people were having computer problems and couldn't process my claim too quickly.

I'm thankful that I had the warranty and it was better than nothing. It is still definately worth the $200.00. After all, it saved me $1150.00. I didn't expect to pay much if anything, and when I was hit with the bill, I was really upset. It is a bit of a headache to file the claim and get the truck fixed, but that is how most aftermarket warranties are. Also note, that Magnacharger has no involvement in the claim process and should not be looked at negatively. I give them a lot of credit for offering a warranty with a supercharger and they saved me money.