Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

WTF,,, i'm pissed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF,,, i'm pissed

So, I get up at 0900 this morning and decide to swap out the balancer on my truck with the powerbond from Scoggin Dickey. First of all, this is not an easy job, it's an absolute mother fu*(er. Strait up, I would have paid 100 bucks to not have even turned the first bolt. Anyone that says it's easy, is obviously a star mechanic with all the right tools. Shadetree mechanics beware.

Second, I have my truck torn apart, only to find that the pulley SD sent me is the wrong ******* pulley. To boot, they are closed on Saturday. What a great feeling, I just love being stranded with the wrong type of puller to get the wrong pulley off my truck, , so I can put my stock pulley back on, hopefully, granted the pulley that was wrong didn't f'up my truck. I can't explain how frustrated I am.

I checked my invoice from SD just to make sure I didn't order the wrong stuff, and sure enough, I ordered the right pulley, they sent me the wrong one.

The one I ordered: KPBU1190-ss25

The one I got: PBU1480-ss25

I know accidents happen, but WTF? Who did I **** off to get a day like this? OK, So my ranting is over is guess. I sure hope SD makes this right. I don't give a damn about trying the pulley again, I just want my money back. F' this.....

The biggest issue is keeping the balancer still while you're trying to break it loose, tighten it. The powerbond pulley was the real bad one, since it doesn't have open sections on the back to wedge something behind. I had all the right tools, just ran into bullshit. For instance, the three jaw puller I rented from autozone. It was missing the center rod, so it took me a long time to figure out something to use. Finally, I found a long case hardened bolt and reamed it out with a drill. It worked perfectly. The installation of the "wrong" pulley was a real bitch. I dont see how the hell you're suppose to get 240 ft/pds of torque on that thing. My luck, if and when I get the stocker back on, the POS will fly off while i'm going down the road. That would be awesome, and put the nail in the coffin as far as i'm concerned.

Long story short, if I ever get my truck back together, I will never tough another pulley again, ever, ever, ever. I will pay what ever it costs to have the damn thing installed by a professional. As, a professional I am not. I'll stick to what i'm good at, shooting and fishing.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn! That sucks!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Man that sucks, I hate it when an "easy" job turns into a f'ing nightmare. As far as the pulley goes, if you dont have the correct puller, a beast of a torque wrench and the right installer it can suck for sure man!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Back doing the waiting thing again. My buddy brought over a bolt puller for the powerbond, and wouldn't you know, the bolts in the kit are too short to reach the threads. He's on the way to Agri Supply to find longer bolts. I sit here, no smokes, no beer, and no ride. Atleast the Predator programmer did it's job, and then some. The diagnostic capabilities, and logging capabilities, were worth the money alone. So far, that's the only thing that has gone right.

I wonder how the pacesetters and ORY are going to go? Mmmmm, it just sounds like a blast now. Might call up a shop and see what the install costs. Though, the headers look SO MUCH EASIER than this thing is, but looks can be decieving. If I get this truck back in working order before the liquor store closes, Jack, here I come. Oh, forgot to mention, looks like it's about to rain. That would really be awesome. Could be worse, and it could actually get worse when I try to reinstall the stocker. I'm already mentally prepared to f'up the crankshaft. I mean, why not? LOL!!!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

without the right tools the easiest job can be the hardest.

ive got pulley swaps down and have all the pullers and pushers needed . id gladly do one for 100 bucks .

also the kentmore flywheel tool is awesome , although pulling the starter sucks . thats the only one i dont have yet.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 03-05-2011, 04:23 PM
02 w/ lowest mileage 2800

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Thats interesting, I would have never thought of doing that. I use the kent moore flywheel holding tool, works like a charm!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know all about the quick job that turns into a multi-day event. It does suck but I have to say reading your rant made me lol...

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
also the kentmore flywheel tool is awesome
Part number?
Old 03-05-2011, 04:32 PM
02 w/ lowest mileage 2800

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I know all about the quick job that turns into a multi-day event. It does suck but I have to say reading your rant made me lol...

Part number?
EN-47699 you can usually find them on Ebay
Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
hahahahaha.. as many times that I have torn and engine apart, I have never thought of that.. badass!

Quick Reply: WTF,,, i'm pissed