Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

WTF,,, i'm pissed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GMCtrk that is an excellent idea. That pic should be saved for a sticky on this.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

that was an 8 year old crank bolt that came out in literally 2 seconds with that 25" breaker bar.

The idea came from DirtTrackRacer.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
that was an 8 year old crank bolt that came out in literally 2 seconds with that 25" breaker bar.

The idea came from DirtTrackRacer.
Thats a great tip man! your awesome!

I had my friend use a flat tip lug wrench to hold my fly wheel one time, and the other time i used a plumbing strap wrench to hold the pulley while i took out the bolt.

Good luck bud, sometimes this **** is frustrating!!! But worth it!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhh, the joys of mods..... Well, got the truck back together. Actually, it was pretty easy once my buddy got back with the right length bolts for the puller. Cranked it up, and it ran just fine. The reverse install of the stocker went really smooth. I was pleasantly surprised. I suppose I was due something to go right after all the hell I went through.

Now that i've got a few beers in me(yep, my test run was to the gas station for an 18 pack), i'm debating on if I want to go for round 2, or if the mod is actually worth the trouble. I guess i'll find out Monday, when I talkt to SD and see how their customer service is. I hope i'm not disappointed. I just wish someone from thier company could fathom the BS I went through today, in large part because of a wrong part being sent to me. That might alter thier thoughts a bit. I know these guys do good stuff, but i'm still justified in being pissed.

I read through where it was mentioned that "having the wrong parts can make an easy job shitty." Dually noted. However, I was certain that I had the right parts, after doing the research and such befored hand. However, I was sadly mistaken. I've never had to use a puller before, and though I had the right kind of puller, it was missing a key component that made it usless. A piece I had no idea I needed until I was knee deep in a pointless install. I had the install tool, also, pointless, as the shaft wouldn't even catch the threads because it wasn't long enough. I eneded up having to use the bolt to press in the balancer. I didn't like that at all, but I did what I had to do.

I dig the tip on double wrapping the belt on the pulley, to hold it steady. I'm actually glad I didnt' know this step before hand, becuase I would have done it, and I can't imagine that it's good for the belt. I managed to get the stock belts and bolt back in place, and it's melting tires just like it did before I FUBAR'ed the replacement install.

So, in the end, everything seems to be OK. I'm not convinced, because I know for a fact I don't have anywhere near the 240 ft/lbs of torque on that bolt that the manual recommends. I also did not put any thread lock on it, for some reason. I'll probably regret it in the long run, but I did what I could do with what I had. There's only so much imprevising before you **** something up. the only worry I have now is there are a couple very minor scratches on the powerbond pulley I bought, which i'll have to send back. I hope SD will swap it out, granted that's what I decide to do. Maybe they'll hook a brother up for sharing part of the pain and suffering I went through today. It wouldn't be a big deal if the end result was an aftermarket pulley installed on my truck. But, I tore my truck appart for nothing, and didn't realize it until I tried to fit the belts on, and they were the wrong size. I googled the part number, and that's when I realized the wrong part was shipped.

So, after 10 hours of labor and bull ****, the end result is: the truck is still stock, and I feel like i've had the hell beat out of me, like I had my feelings hurt infront of all my friends, and like I haven't bathed in a week. Asside from the mild buzz i've aquired from cheap beer and marlboro's, I haven't felt like *** this bad since my first tour to the middle east. I can't believe I let a F'ing pulley beat my ***.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We tried to tell you
Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
Ahhhh, the joys of mods..... Well, got the truck back together. Actually, it was pretty easy once my buddy got back with the right length bolts for the puller. Cranked it up, and it ran just fine. The reverse install of the stocker went really smooth. I was pleasantly surprised. I suppose I was due something to go right after all the hell I went through.

Now that i've got a few beers in me(yep, my test run was to the gas station for an 18 pack), i'm debating on if I want to go for round 2, or if the mod is actually worth the trouble. I guess i'll find out Monday, when I talkt to SD and see how their customer service is. I hope i'm not disappointed. I just wish someone from thier company could fathom the BS I went through today, in large part because of a wrong part being sent to me. That might alter thier thoughts a bit. I know these guys do good stuff, but i'm still justified in being pissed.

I read through where it was mentioned that "having the wrong parts can make an easy job shitty." Dually noted. However, I was certain that I had the right parts, after doing the research and such befored hand. However, I was sadly mistaken. I've never had to use a puller before, and though I had the right kind of puller, it was missing a key component that made it usless. A piece I had no idea I needed until I was knee deep in a pointless install. I had the install tool, also, pointless, as the shaft wouldn't even catch the threads because it wasn't long enough. I eneded up having to use the bolt to press in the balancer. I didn't like that at all, but I did what I had to do.

I dig the tip on double wrapping the belt on the pulley, to hold it steady. I'm actually glad I didnt' know this step before hand, becuase I would have done it, and I can't imagine that it's good for the belt. I managed to get the stock belts and bolt back in place, and it's melting tires just like it did before I FUBAR'ed the replacement install.

So, in the end, everything seems to be OK. I'm not convinced, because I know for a fact I don't have anywhere near the 240 ft/lbs of torque on that bolt that the manual recommends. I also did not put any thread lock on it, for some reason. I'll probably regret it in the long run, but I did what I could do with what I had. There's only so much imprevising before you **** something up. the only worry I have now is there are a couple very minor scratches on the powerbond pulley I bought, which i'll have to send back. I hope SD will swap it out, granted that's what I decide to do. Maybe they'll hook a brother up for sharing part of the pain and suffering I went through today. It wouldn't be a big deal if the end result was an aftermarket pulley installed on my truck. But, I tore my truck appart for nothing, and didn't realize it until I tried to fit the belts on, and they were the wrong size. I googled the part number, and that's when I realized the wrong part was shipped.

So, after 10 hours of labor and bull ****, the end result is: the truck is still stock, and I feel like i've had the hell beat out of me, like I had my feelings hurt infront of all my friends, and like I haven't bathed in a week. Asside from the mild buzz i've aquired from cheap beer and marlboro's, I haven't felt like *** this bad since my first tour to the middle east. I can't believe I let a F'ing pulley beat my ***.
It doesn't hurt the belt at all, and the torque spec on the factory bolt is 37 ft lbs plus 140 degrees of rotation. It's not hard to do with a large breaker bar. The factory bolt comes with loctite already on it.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by andrew383
We tried to tell you

LOL, and to a degree, I heeded your warning. But, I did so in the gathering of the appropriate tools, planning, and such. If the pulley would have been the right one, no harm, no foul. The thing that is more upsetting than anything, isn't the fact it took so long, and that the pulley was wrong, but that I did all the work for nothing. That was a real kick in the *****.

I really am pretty technically inclined, and had I not been, the truck would still be in pieces right now. I was able to adapt and overcome, so to speak. The two major variables, were the fact that the pulley was wrong, first and fore most. And, the fact i've never pulled a balancer off before, so I lacked the upfront experiance. Honestly, I think if I went for a round 2, it wouldnt' be bad at all. But, I thought that the first try.

I actually work on motors quite a bit. Especially dirtbikes and quads. My oldest son and I ride enduro, and anyone that rides knows that's a constant hussle. Quads included, and normal repairs and maintenance on vehicles, i'm always working on something. So, I felt pretty good about it, atleast during the first hour. It all went to hell after that..... I'm not easily discouraged though, and if SD can serve up some good customer service, I may go for a second try. If anything, i'm hard headed as hell.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Well, the manual says to first torque the old bolt to 240 ft/lbs. Then install the new bolt, torque to 37, then the extra turn. So, the first turn must be just to insure the balancer is in position, right? the second run with the new bolt must be actual ft/lb's, for the final install, along with the extra umph at the end to make sure it's good to go.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

No need to be mad. Just get the right part and move on. Everyone makes mistakes.

Hell, when I did my cam swap I ended up getting the wrong pulley puller from AutoZone and I snapped off the bolt with the puller on my pulley! My gut came out of my mouth at that moment. Just had to work through it, no complaints.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
Well, the manual says to first torque the old bolt to 240 ft/lbs. Then install the new bolt, torque to 37, then the extra turn. So, the first turn must be just to insure the balancer is in position, right? the second run with the new bolt must be actual ft/lb's, for the final install, along with the extra umph at the end to make sure it's good to go.
Yeah, that first spec is just to make sure the pulley is seated properly on the crank snout. 240lbs isn't really needed, I just crank down as good as I can manually and then torque the new bolt to spec

Quick Reply: WTF,,, i'm pissed