Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks to hear that man hopefully they do something for your troubles
Old 03-06-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The tool in my sig is the easiest way to press the pulley on. Takes less than a minute.. Just sayin..
Old 03-06-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I don't know why you would need a 25" breaker bar, my 18" breaker fits inside a 3' cheater pipe just fine!
LOL
Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
The tool in my sig is the easiest way to press the pulley on. Takes less than a minute.. Just sayin..
Does the correct powerbond pulley for my truck have the cleared out area like the the stock, to hold the pulley with the chain rig? Or, is it smooth, requiring a pulley wrench, or what ever that thing is called.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't have the 3 cutouts. Thats where the correct installer (dirttrack's) will come in handy. Then wrap the belt, pull with your breaker until your nuts hurt, install new bolt and tq to spec. That will require the pulling to the point of a hemorrhoids al well....lol. Or you could just impact the **** out of it. Both are proven methods.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow sorry to hear. its a bad deal when stuff like this happens. but i sure we all have those days/weeks. something that should take a few hours end up taking the whole weekend.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Just got off the phone with Chris from Scoggin Dickie. A very nice guy, and i'm very please with their customer service. I'm going to head to the house at lunch, verify what belts came with the pulley, and he's going to three day air the correct parts and belts so I can complete the install this weekend. That is really great service, and service is what makes a company bad or good. I will be doing business with this company again in the future.

Doesn't take away the fact I got the wrong part, but the fact they are willing to make it right is good enough for me. I guess i'm going for round two this weekend.

So, all the BS asside, I need a good way to secure their pulley, since it does not have the cut outs. What do I need? I've got the removal of the stocker down to a science by now, and I know up to the installation of the aftermarket pulley i'm good to go. Actually, up to that part, shouldn't be bad at all now that i've done the trial and error part. I know what I have to remove, and I know how to remove it. Securing the powerbond is the last key to the puzzle. Based on previous input, i'm not leaning towards the belt sinch idea. It makes sense that it could put more on the other pulleys than they need. I also don't want to use some sort of jerry rig that could potentially damage something else, like the new balancer for instance. Any suggestions are very much welcomed.

P.S. Airtools really are not an option. I've got a compressor, and it just doesn't have the *** to turn an air tool. I tried an air gun during round one, and it just didn't have the PSI.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by AndysC3
Heres a pic from another site that someone did to keep the pulley form moving

Just a chain with a S hook. the other end is hooked up to the lower control arm.
cant do that with any of the aftermarket pullies.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
cant do that with any of the aftermarket pullies.
BINGO! Isn't there some sort of wrench that bolts into the three puller holes, is hollow in the center for a socket to get through, and has some sort of socket end on the other side that you could insert another breaker bar into? I just wonder if a set up like that would hold up to the 235 lbs of torque that scoggin dickie reccommends? (confirmed the torque today)

Also found out some interesting facts, for those of you that are confused.

The stock GM bolt IS INFACT A STRETCH BOLT. This is why it can't be used but once. Multiple uses at the recommended torque will most certainly pop the head off. Chris w/ SD noted some horror stories he's heard.

Second, the bolt that comes with the Powerbond pulley is NOT a stretch bolt, and can be reused. He noted that because of this, it's a single stage install. You simply torque the SD bolt to 235, and call it a day. Trash the stock bolt.

Makes sense to me. This came strait from SD, so I consider that to be pretty damn reliable. I can promise, the stock bolt will not go back on my truck. I'll buy a new stock bolt if something goes wrong again.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My installation tool can take a lot of the hassle out of putting the pulley back on. Its generally takes 2 days anywere in the US.

Quick Reply: WTF,,, i'm pissed