Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

07 RCSB NNBS appearance mods (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile 07 RCSB NNBS appearance mods (long)

Truck is 8 weeks old and already ripping it apart. RCSB can't get body color handles and can't order upper level mirrors (fold/adjust/heat/signal/dimming/memory) and I was looking at adding those but gets complicated fast (databus plus programming, need different switches which require top level door panels and additional harness, etc)

Anyway, best part of that setup is the signal light. I knew you could order the camper mirrors that come with signal light so was hoping all reg cabs would get the same harness and yup there it is. Whew. Bought some stuff off e-bay over the last few weeks and installed pass side door handle and mirror glass today. Some notes if you are interested:

Door panel is pretty easy. Take off trim panels for access to bolts. One under door interior handle pop off from front (there is a slot inside the panel there). Grab handle cover pops off (start at bottom, there is a slot there), two bolts hold grab handle on, then can pull up on switch panel and unplug.Remove triangle piece by mirror (3 clips, just pop off) Inside door handle can stay on, it is attached to door panel but you will have to support panel and unclip from backside once panel is off, it uses a ball end cable to engage mechanism and cable has two tangs you depress to release. Door lock button has small square tab, pop that off and it all falls apart.

Use tape to protect paint, slide tool under lower door edge front corner (worked for me) and pop off clips..they are pretty easy...once corner was off, pulled the rest just using hands (less chance of damage).

The water/sound barrier is clipped ot the door panel and then also glued to the door. Pretty tough to avoid damage as the door panel comes off...generally the clip area lets go. Carefully peel off the door and can re-use the sealant if you take your time.

Outside door handle is pretty obvious once you have access. Two bolts. Aft bolt access by removing round rubber plug in door. Rod stays with handle, unclip from latch assy and remove with rod. Clip is plastic, folds over in half around threaded rod and has threads so holds threaded rod and makes it all very easy. Transfer rod and install new handle.

Mirror harness >>from body<< has the blue/white (+) and black (-) wires needed for the signal. Stock >>from mirror<< harness does not have those wires in connector block. I used the harness wires/glass from an uplevel mirror so it all looks stock. The glass is a bugger to get off the motor, basically it slides up and off the tangs, but I ended up removing the mirror, removing the colored cap and the lower outboard cap to get access to it so I could pry a bit on the tabs..finally popped off. New one goes on tough too.

Put it all together. Body color door handles and signal light in the mirror...it even blinks with the key fob lock and unlock functions. Awesome.

I got my glass by buying complete mirrors off e-bay, it worked out cheaper than just buying the glass from GM, but I got lucky. I do want to try and adapt the folding mirrors someday and add the upper level panels (already have), that will require switchplate mods (extra window switches ), new harness, programming etc. Guy could make the folding manual and the puddle light off the latch assy door open signal but for now I'm happy with this. Need to do some more research....gotta save something for later.....

Note in first picture the side airbag module near aft end of door..also the ball end cable for the interior door handle mechanism is right above it too. As always be careful and anything you do is at your own risk!!
Attached Thumbnails 07 RCSB NNBS appearance mods (long)-mirror1.jpg   07 RCSB NNBS appearance mods (long)-mirrorfinal.jpg  

Last edited by niugnep; 05-11-2007 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks real good. As I was reading all of that I thought, "If there aren't any pics, I'm going to be pissed."
Old 05-11-2007, 07:34 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrumm
Looks real good. As I was reading all of that I thought, "If there aren't any pics, I'm going to be pissed."
LOL...I just scrolled down and went straight to the pics

Looks good
Old 05-11-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

awesome mod, you're the first for sure. I really need to do this on my '06, I want signal's in the mirrors so bad
Old 05-11-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tdrumm
I wouldn't do that to you guys!!!

And on the 06, whole different animal but couldn't a guy order the uplevel mirrors on the RCSB? If so, wiring should be there already, or at least easy to add...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Muth sells kits to add signal mirrors to just about anything. They are also an OEM supplier so good stuff, but again sometimes e-bay is your friend (ie for less than the price of the kits I got complete mirror assy's that I may or may not use one day, plus all the parts needed and/or spare parts). Link to 07 stuff:

http://www.kwmuth.com/products/kits/220-0275.htm
Old 05-11-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

REMEMBER MY CAUTION FROM MY OTHER THREAD NIUGNEP?? THESE MODS CAN BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR WALLET/ BANK ACCOUNT, MARRIAGE/ SOCIAL LIFE
Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Got any pics of the whole truck? Looks pretty good so far.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Neil 6.0
Got any pics of the whole truck? Looks pretty good so far.
Yup, pre mirror and door handles though....

http://members.shaw.ca/timcr/2007.html
Old 05-11-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83
REMEMBER MY CAUTION FROM MY OTHER THREAD NIUGNEP?? THESE MODS CAN BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR WALLET/ BANK ACCOUNT, MARRIAGE/ SOCIAL LIFE
Oh yeah, I know...spent 6 years doing a frame off on a 72 convertible, so I AM aware!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just looking at your guages when I realized that you're in Canada...I saw 200 on the speedo when it hit me! Great color BTW!

Quick Reply: 07 RCSB NNBS appearance mods (long)