Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

07 Silverado Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaw_426hemi
With a Blackbear scan cable tune Justin can tune your ECM which depending on your trans will tune both trans and engine or if you have a 6 speed only engine as trans controller is in the trans and requires the use of EFI Live autocal device. I had my truck tuned and it would really suprise you in terms of how much your truck will pick up. Check out BB, he has his stuff together and comes well recommended from many people. If you have a 4 speed cost should be $300 for a custom tune, if its a 6 speed it will be $549. If you have the sound you want, I would leave the exhaust alone, you dont have alot to pick up there for low end. Yes smaller pipes do typically result in low end power though, well as long as you dont go too small. Cam is another solid idea as well, thing is once you start you cant stop with performance. Stall is great for the low end power as well but its a bit more spendy.
I guess I just looked at all of the up front costs on black bears website. I have a 4L60E, $300 isn't bad at all.

Wouldn't a higher stall just launch at a higher rpm, basically eliminating the the low end lag I've mentioned?

Oh and thanks again Shaw
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A torque converter just allows for more slip, to get the engine into the power band quicker, easier, more often. You would definitely notice it, but it isn't really actually gaining torque, and depending on the size stall a cooler to keep the transmission cool might be necessary, or at least recommended.

Long tube headers are another part of the system that are notorious for gaining low end torque.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I think I'm just going to go with a tune for now (would love to do a cam and gears but I'll save that for another time). It seems to be the most popular response across the board and seems to net pretty impressive gains.

One more question...

Looked at pacesetter long tube headers because they seem reasonable in price. Would I notice a low-end difference with the lt's and a tune as compared to just a tune?

How are they installed on a nnbs truck where there is a cat on each bank of the y pipe? Do the o2 sensors have to be tuned out or do the o2 sensors need to be relocated with aftermarket cats?

Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you will gain more with headers and a tune than you will tuned only.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Going to weld up my exhaust after I swap my ultraflow welded for a pro xs and stick with a tune for now. Seems to be the cheapest route for the most noticeable gain.

Only had the ultraflow clamped on for about 2,000 miles if anyone is interested in one. 3" si/so offest inlet and outlet. Dynomax part number 17229.

Looking over black bears site, the traditional tune has a much smaller up front fee as opposed to the data logging tune ($220 core vs $220 core and $400 equipment deposit). And as mentioned before, my budget is pretty tight. From those who have used bbperformance, is there much of a difference between the two tunes? I already read the faq section on his site.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's one more for Justin at BB! I can't tell you much about the difference between the two, I got the Autocal tune and Justin has been great about doing a couple refinements to it since he sent the original version.

You also mentioned a high-stall converter and I'll vote against that for a DD. I've had 'em and they suck on the street. They're great for *****-to-the-wall dragstrip launches but nasty for just driving around - IMHBAO.

Have fun!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Man Motor club

Phil: is that 'In My Honest Bad *** Opinion'?

07NNBS: the data-logging tune uses data directly from your computer to calculate the adjustments to your timing. This allows for more precise adjustments than you would get from a traditional mail-order tune where you specify your mods and goals and a safe tune is set up.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Phil: is that 'In My Honest Bad *** Opinion'?
Ha! Well, that would work too, but I was going for: "In My Humble But Accurate Opinion."
Old 07-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Man Motor club

Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

Go with the data logged tune. Otherwise your basically just purchasing a out of the box tune like so many other brands out there. That is where the BB tunes are so nice, the fact that you get a custom tune specific for your truck based on data logged from your truck. I understand the cost thing with the deposit on the scan cable and such but, if your doing it I would say go with the custom which is why BB is better than so many others out there. (No offense to any other tuners or companies, just saying a tune build for your truck based on your trucks data files is better than a tune that is unspecific to any one vehicle and sold as a "one size fits all" type deal.) You will love the results.

Quick Reply: 07 Silverado Exhaust Question