Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

08 duramax not charging cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 duramax not charging cold

im trying to fix a 2008 gmc 2500hd duramax at the moment and am starting to get stumped. I kno that it's normal for the charge indicator not to come up for the first minute or so while the glow plugs and intake heater are drawing current. But this morning i timed it and it took about 8 minutes before the indicator would come up to 14v it even gets to the point where the lights start to dim down. The alternator has been replaced and the problem still persists. does anybody have any insight into this problem?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for voltage drops over all your primary connections. Battery positive to positive cable end.battery poitive to alternator positive. Battery ground to negative cable end. Alternator ground to battery ground. Do it under load and you shouldn't see more then a 0.5V drop otherwise you've got a poor connection or broken wires or resistance from something.
Also....was the new alternator tested? I know it's new but try an Avr anyways and see what the alternator is really doing
Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

yes, i did have the alternator on the avr and it was working fine.... all the connections are clean and tight.. and after the vehicle has been warmed up for around 10 mins everything works great...
Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not to familiar with the duramax charging system but is the voltage regulator inside the alternator or is it controlled by the BCM?
another easy test to do with your DVOM is an actual voltage regulator test where you test from the alternator positive to the case ground and with the accessories loaded you should see AT minimum I think....12.6V i'd double check that number though and it should fluctuate a bit as it attempts to get to 14v.
I guess the issue your having is its gotta be cold and as your testing...its warming up! then you gotta let it sit for a while to cool back down
Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

which avr machine are you using? is it an automatic one just push a button and walk away or is it the nice carbon pile one you can control the load?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't timed it, but my Duramax takes a minute or two before the volt gauge jumps up to 14 volts also. At the same time, the lights are dimmer than normal, and the heater blower motor is spinning slower. Then the gauge pops up, the lights get bright, and the blower gets stronger. I've never worried about it or tried to troubleshoot it, as every Duramax I've cold started does the exact same thing.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
which avr machine are you using? is it an automatic one just push a button and walk away or is it the nice carbon pile one you can control the load?
it's a snap-on avr with a carbon pile

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I haven't timed it, but my Duramax takes a minute or two before the volt gauge jumps up to 14 volts also. At the same time, the lights are dimmer than normal, and the heater blower motor is spinning slower. Then the gauge pops up, the lights get bright, and the blower gets stronger. I've never worried about it or tried to troubleshoot it, as every Duramax I've cold started does the exact same thing.
i understand that its normal in the first couple mintues, but this goes on for nearly 10 minute and its only been doing it in the past 5 days

I think I'll try to check and see if something is causing the glow plugs to stay on for an extended period of time, or other things drawing current that shouldn't be. Apparently this vehicle has been plagued with electrical problems since new.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

well problem is solved! turns out the owner had slightly exaggerated how the long problem was occuring for... the 10 minute no charge period magically became about 3 minutes with further investigation... so basically nothing is wrong thanks everyone for ur input
Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gowic
well problem is solved! turns out the owner had slightly exaggerated how the long problem was occuring for... the 10 minute no charge period magically became about 3 minutes with further investigation... so basically nothing is wrong thanks everyone for ur input
Lol , mine does the same thing . Just a dmax thing I guess .
Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here. It's the grid heater in intake, combined with glow plugs. Thing is like 1500 watts.. I have seen issue with alternator charge wire where it connects inside the little red junction box.

Quick Reply: 08 duramax not charging cold