Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

1-1/2" direct fit shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1-1/2" direct fit shorty headers

Had to put off doing my exhaust and tune for awhile. Just got married its not looking like I can afford long tubes and all the associated modifications.

I read this header comparison article and while the readings don't begin until 3,126 rpm, it it looks like any sort of header upgrade will boost hp and tq below 3,500 rpm.

The shorty gibsons tested had 1-5/8" primaries, and I feel that a smaller primary diameter would further improve the results below 3,500 rpm. This seems to be an ideal solution for those who are looking for SOME OF the low rpm benefits of long tubes, but cannot afford them or do not wish to modify their trucks for smog reasons.

Having said that, I'm looking for some direct fit shorty headers with 1-1/2" primaries. Can't seem to find any for our trucks. Have yall had any luck? 1-5/8" and 1-3/4" headers are everywhere.

I found these for NBS trucks, but I'm not sure that they'll bolt up without mods on an NNBS.

Maybe I'm just putting too much thought into this...
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

You can pick up long tubes from pace setter and obx for fairly cheap. Obx has lts with chatted ypipe for I'm sure somebody will correct me but 450$. I never really looked into shorties but the 1 set I saw was in the 400$ ballpark. Unless you are dead set on shorties or have stiff emissions regulations and want to keep stock converters just go for the lts. Idk what your intentions are but if your gonna do any kind of racing weather be street or track the lts with a good tune are the way to go. In most peoples everybodys eyes shorts are a waste of money. Just my input
Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Appreciate your input vmax.

I just saw the shorties for $200 and thought they may be worth it due to my tight budget.

I figured it would cost a decent amount to rework my exhaust for the long tubes to fit, not to mention the headers themselves.

What are these OBX headers w/ y pipe I've been hearing about? And where can I get them?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

from what i read on here and another Silverado sight. shortys are no better then stock
Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

tight budget , dont buy them now, save up and get some long tubes
Old 09-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Well I'd rather get honest input than waste money.

Thanks yall!

Does anyone have the OBX part # for the long tubes with the catted y pipe?

Atleast I'd have a price so I can start saving

Last edited by 07NNBS; 09-24-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless obx changed the options on their y-pipes they are not catted. They are actually dummy cats/resonators in the stock cat location. Cant tell a difference tho if you didnt know any better. they are stainless steel as well and have bungs welded in for the 02 sensors. Had mine for about 2 years now without issue and i reused the stock exhaust gaskets and bolts. I would say unless you are going for max effort/max horse power or just want a name brand, these would get the job done well. Plenty of others run them too.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just one more opinion for ya. In the old days ('50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s ...) OE headers were built like this:

___|_|_|_| on one side, and |_|_|_|___ on the other side.

Each side of the motor had four short straight tubes going into one long cast iron tube. They sucked for flow but were cheap to build and lasted forever. Today's LS motors have headers that are shaped a lot like the shorty headers of the old days and flow pretty damn good. It takes long tubes to make much of an improvement over stock nowadays, unlike in the past. Unfortunately, the advertising for the shorty headers ignores that.

My two cents.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the insight Phil, that definitely makes sense.

05GMC4.8 - Will the dummy cats work without a tune on an nnbs? Seems like the 02 sensors would get wrong readings due to the lack of upstream catalysts.

Oh and do you have a part number for that setup? I could not find it on their website.

Thanks a bunch
Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

your going to need a tune if you put headers on anyway.

Quick Reply: 1-1/2" direct fit shorty headers