Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

2008 Silverado accelerating on its own

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2008 Silverado accelerating on its own

I was driving to work today and had an 18 wheeler on both sides of be all of a sudden. I gunned it to get out of the middle of them and the truck never stopped accelerating. I did not have cruise control on, The dash light for cruise control was not on, it was on the steering wheel but after turning the light off on the wheel control it kept accelerating. I kept applyinh the brakes but it would not slow down. The only thing that came to mind was to turn the truck off but I had the 2 big rigs behind me and a few cars and no time to scoot over to the shoulder.

I put the gear in neutral and after that pushed onthe brakes and it responded and proceeded to slow down in Neutral then I put it back in gear to get off the freeway. This freaked me out. If my wife would have been driving I doubt she would have known what to do. The floor pedal was not stuck either. i went from about 65-80+ during this uncontrolled acceleration.

So I call the dealer and talk to the service dept and they joked about it only being a Toyota issue and this was the first he had heard of it. He asked I bring it in and pay the $89 diagnostic fee. I told him, for a safety issue?
He replied that you have to pay to get it diagnosed.

I told him I would call back.

Anyone ever have that happen to them on their 07+ silverado?

Keep in mind, this is a bone stock 5.3L with 59k miles.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never happened to me but sounds frightening. Is there anything at all on the floor or around the pedal? The TPS is on the arm of the pedal I think, so I'd just take a look to see if anything could have touched it?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a floormat but it lays flat on floor. I will check it when I get off today.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

look in the rear of your owner's manual and get the contact information for GM Headquarters and the Federal Highway Administration. If what you described is true then there is a major problem and the service department at the dealer should in no way have taken it lightly.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Notorious BIG

I would check for a cruise control or TPS issue since it stopped as soon as you shifted into Neutral. If it was mechanical shifting into Neutral would have not stopped the engine from revving. Either that or ghosts and I would call Ghost Busters
Old 10-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

It should still be under the bumper to bumper warranty. Sometimes at the dealership you just need to put the foot down and make them do the ****. The last thing the dealership wants is to be on the news for not diagnosing a safety problem for free after the driver got hurt in an accident, so make them aware of it.

Kudos to you for handling the situation properly, though. Toyota owners don't seem to operate well under pressure...
Old 10-15-2010, 01:25 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I have never had this happen or even ever heard of it in a GM truck, glad you were quick on your feet and avoided an accident, I'm subscribed for the outcome, be careful.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, durring lunch I checked the floor mat and it was sideways but not touching the pedal. I have mine upside down from when I bought it 2 weeks ago. I am waiting for the service manager to call me.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some dude had the same problem here the link...
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=470194
Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smokeshow
It should still be under the bumper to bumper warranty. Sometimes at the dealership you just need to put the foot down and make them do the ****. The last thing the dealership wants is to be on the news for not diagnosing a safety problem for free after the driver got hurt in an accident, so make them aware of it.

Kudos to you for handling the situation properly, though. Toyota owners don't seem to operate well under pressure...
I agree, you are still under your warrenty and your having a serious issue. Take the truck up there and talk to the manager face to face. If he still says you have to pay, get loud, they dont like it when other customers hear your problem and there not doing nothing about it.

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado accelerating on its own