Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6.2 ordered a converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well hell, there's so many 6.2s on here lately it's hard to keep track!

What kind of FI are you getting when you have your "bucks" in a row? That's my long-range plan too, but it's going to take some serious time to save up.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Man, that's a hard running truck! I'm curious what tire size you're running, and what body style your truck is. My new EC ran a best of 15.2 with your same motor, 4WD launch and 3.73 gears but like rj said, the same 285/70-17 tire size as he has. You're beating me by more than a second so I'm curious if that's all in the tune or what.

I'm still strictly stock; tune on the way.
I was very shocked with what the tune did to the truck, it really was night and day difference. Right now it's setup for slightly aggressive driving if I don't do anything, just start the truck and go. If I really want to have fun I hold the traction control button till stabilitrack is disabled and then put it into tow/haul mode. Tow/haul is setup with much more aggressive shift points and is what we called the "hot rod" button. Just slight acceleration in 2WD will break the tires loose shifting into second gear... it's crazy.

I have two sets of rims and tires. The factory GM rims and stock goodyears for everyday driving and then I picked up a set of steel 17" generic rims and some used street rubber for when at the track. I think they are 275/55/17 but am not home and can't remember off the top of my head.
Pic with street setup on.

Get a custom tune done, these transmissions have a lot that can be tightened up and it really makes a huge difference.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
I was very shocked with what the tune did to the truck, it really was night and day difference. Right now it's setup for slightly aggressive driving if I don't do anything, just start the truck and go. If I really want to have fun I hold the traction control button till stabilitrack is disabled and then put it into tow/haul mode. Tow/haul is setup with much more aggressive shift points and is what we called the "hot rod" button. Just slight acceleration in 2WD will break the tires loose shifting into second gear... it's crazy.

I have two sets of rims and tires. The factory GM rims and stock goodyears for everyday driving and then I picked up a set of steel 17" generic rims and some used street rubber for when at the track. I think they are 275/55/17 but am not home and can't remember off the top of my head.
Pic with street setup on.

Get a custom tune done, these transmissions have a lot that can be tightened up and it really makes a huge difference.
"Hot rod button," I love it! I've already been convinced to get a tune, have got the AutoCal and am about to start data logging for Black Bear. Thanks for the encouragement, and the idea of two whole sets of tires - that would definitely be cheaper than burning up the pricey BFGs. But from what you say, you have to launch in 4WD anyway. I think I'll tune it and run it again with 4WD launch. Maybe try off-track to see if I can get a clean 2WD launch by rolling on the throttle.

That's a nice looking truck, btw. Even being a CC you're lighter than me by one tailgate, one tonneau, and some 6" side steps. All that's got to help too, I was 5,900 lbs at a public scale on the way to the track I raced at.

So, you think the trans tuning was responsible for most of your great results?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
"Hot rod button," I love it! I've already been convinced to get a tune, have got the AutoCal and am about to start data logging for Black Bear. Thanks for the encouragement, and the idea of two whole sets of tires - that would definitely be cheaper than burning up the pricey BFGs. But from what you say, you have to launch in 4WD anyway. I think I'll tune it and run it again with 4WD launch. Maybe try off-track to see if I can get a clean 2WD launch by rolling on the throttle.

That's a nice looking truck, btw. Even being a CC you're lighter than me by one tailgate, one tonneau, and some 6" side steps. All that's got to help too, I was 5,900 lbs at a public scale on the way to the track I raced at.

So, you think the trans tuning was responsible for most of your great results?
Yea that tune shaved a lot of time off my 0-60 and 0-90
These times were logged using HP Tuners.
Before 0-60 = 6.162
After 0-60 = 5.237

Before 0-90 = 12.948
After 0-90 = 10.795

That was with the ABS fuses still in so I would imagine slightly quicker with those pulled like when I am at the track.

This was taken at my local landfill. Stock rims and tires, 1/2 tank of gas and my two dogs in the back seat (70lbs and 40 lbs) and tail gate on.

Haven't had a chance to weigh it with no tail gate, track rims and tires and 1/4 tank of gas yet.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the helpful info - now I REALLY can't wait to get this tune loaded!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 02:08 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, get your truck tuned. There is a lot left on the table on a stock tune. I'm sure there's a little bit more in Andy's truck, and we'll find out after he gets a wideband in there. I'll get a little more aggressive with it once I can datalog AFR.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil- not gonna spill the beans just yet, in case things don't work out as planned, but I plan to bolt a blower on top of my engine. Details will follow in a dedicated thread if it works out. If not, oh well. I will tell you that it is more of a time issue than money.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Man Motor club

This truck is my DD after all, and since my wife works and goes to school now, having my truck out of commission for any length of time will be difficult.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Phil- not gonna spill the beans just yet, in case things don't work out as planned, but I plan to bolt a blower on top of my engine. Details will follow in a dedicated thread if it works out. If not, oh well. I will tell you that it is more of a time issue than money.
Thanks, I'll be watching for that new thread when it happens. If it doesn't go as planned, just remember - Semper Gumby!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Man Motor club

Yes sir I'm really trying to work out the details, but it's been pretty difficult to orchestrate. We'll see.

Quick Reply: 6.2 ordered a converter