Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6l80 + 3.42s = thirsty, no pulling S.O.B

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Import Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Highway MPG on my truck came up about 1.5 miles goin to 4:56's and the tranny quit hunting from 6-5 on the smallest grade. Holy mother of god will she move out when you lay the wood to it. I'm lowered 2/4 on stock denali 20's and OE tire size.

For all you lifted guys do 4:56's especially with 32 up tires this pos 6 speed tranny needs gears. I would way rather have the 4l60 back.

Thanks for the good read, it's been a shitty start to my morning, needed a good laugh
Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Everybody knocks them but I knew all their weak points beefed up and programmed accordingly and drove them sanely and never had any problems and through the years I've had a bunch of SBC and LS 4wd chevy trucks.

Most guys here are exactly the contrary so I understand the lack of love. I would have rather had a 4L80 style tranny with a deep 1st gear. Just dont like all the unusable gears but love the strength of it. I have it programmed now so it's finally tolerable but as delivered from gm yuck.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Everybody knocks them but I knew all their weak points beefed up and programmed accordingly and drove them sanely and never had any problems and through the years I've had a bunch of SBC and LS 4wd chevy trucks.

Most guys here are exactly the contrary so I understand the lack of love. I would have rather had a 4L80 style tranny with a deep 1st gear. Just dont like all the unusable gears but love the strength of it. I have it programmed now so it's finally tolerable but as delivered from gm yuck.
I do know what you mean; I once had a '76 Suburban with a BUILT 400 smallblock and 4.10s that I put a 4L60 in, built by a guy who knew them inside and out. That thing would launch hard, and then cruise down the freeway nice and quiet. Dependable as a stone ax.

But like you say, the tune made my 6L behave pretty good. I am still considering going to 4.10s in this truck, but there are other money pits ahead of it right now.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Import Moderator

Well none of us leave our trucks/cars the way they are delivered from GM so that's irrelevant... you're comparing fully built 4spds to the feel of a stock 6L80E

I too have had great luck with the 4L60E, raced a bone stock one for a summer mated to a cammed LS1 in my Sierra... even though it was severly slipping by the end of summer and needed swapped out for a fully built one. It's all in driving habits, most of the guys that pop them on here will tell you they were going around a corner and floored it and started fish tailing and it couldn't handle their 450rwhp and blah and blah.... that transmission was not meant to do that in a vehicle that weighs 2.5 tons.

You're saying the 6L80E has all these worthless gears... it depends on who you ask? When I had my 11' crew cab 5.3 I would get on the highway and drive 75 for almost 20 miles for my work commute, 5th and 6th are pretty nice then. I was seeing 21mpg in a fullsize 4door 4wd pickup, you find me a 4L60E or 4L80E that can pull that kind of mpg at that speed...

All it boils down to is your driving, if you do a lot of city and low speed driving... sure the 6L80E is going to feel like it has a lot of worthless gears and even I admit it feels a little clumsy on the 2-1 shift. But as far as durability, highway mpg... I don't think that 30yr old trans is even comparable to the new technology.

Having gone from a 4L60E -> 4L60E -> 4L60E -> 6L80E -> 4L60E -> 6L80E -> 4L60E -> 4L60E -> 6L80E over the last few years... the 6L80E wins my vote for the kind of driving I do at least.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, who's going to be first to market a gearset for the 6L80 that has "enthusiast" ratios? Some outfits are already offering performance upgrades and rebuilds for it, maybe it's just a matter of time before they have your choice of ratios available. (Or maybe I'm having the proverbial "pipe dream.")
Old 08-17-2013, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Yeah if you are talking about the factory programming on the 6 speed transmissions from gm it is horrid. A bunch of shift overlap issues not to mention other things but once setup right in the tune I personally really like the newer trans.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The as delivered from gm shift points and tcc lockup schedule are terrible. I spent a lot of time with the tuning on this one to finally get it where I wanted it and it's now tolerable. I do all straight highway driving so for my purpose 6 gears are useless.

For my likes just stretching out the shift points a bunch and not letting the tcc lock until 5th and 6th gear did the most to make me like it. Followed by locking out 5th until 58 and then letting it drop into 6th at around 69. Every where I drive speed limits are 70-85 so it just took a lot of seat time to finally get it right.

The shift feel is waay better now but it's still not what I want but it just can't shift like that or it will destroy itself. What would be awesome is the shift feel of a 400 with a shift kit. We all know this thing is light years ahead of the 4L60 in strength and reliability it's just trying to coax new technology to match what I've grown to love in shift feel and performance and timing over the last 35 years.

Since we kinda jacked his thread anyone know what direction he went on gears haven't heard a word from orig poster in a while.