Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

6l80 guys with a stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6l80 guys with a stall

i dont see a whole lot of guys on here with a 6l80 and a stall, and a search didn't give much info either.

looking for input from guys that have a 6l80 and stall. how do you like it? what rpm did you choose? what brand? how is driveability affected? how much did you gain performance was? what kind of $$ are we talking? just loooking for input from those with experience on this. thanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you contact Chris @ Circle D he will tell you what Size converter to get.
Alot of guys haven't installed one due to the price of them. Since the 6spds are still relatively new parts are still super expensive on them. A nice converter would help your truck alot! I just can't bite off $1500 for a converter.

Circle D Specialties Performance Torque Converters
Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking at around $1050 +/- for a Circle D multi disc.

I just ordered a 2600-2800 multi disc from Circle D for my truck. Speaking with Chris about the truck and having a blower we agreed on which size converter to use and expect it to stall at around 2800.

However, installing a converter you should also try to install as large of a transmission cooler as you can fit such as the tru-cool 40k or similar. Purchased and self installed with the EAD kit you are looking at around $225 or so.

Total price for all could be about $1,500 as Brutal stated.

I can't comment on driveability at the moment, but hope to pick up my converter and a new flywheel later this week. Should have it installed by the end of the month but will have to baby the truck on the top end until the transmission can get rebuilt. Was just told that the special parts are an issue right now for the 6L80 build I was looking for.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

converter is 1100ish shipped give or take and the Tru-cool is only 140.00
if you never plan to lock the converter nor tow a ton of heavy crap, circle d makes a bigger single disc for us which is only about 850ish give or take.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info guys.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a COAN billet 2800 stall triple disc converter in mine. Currently its going in and out of lock up at steady highway speeds, it wont stay locked. I was told that the problem is Vortech has scaled the engine file when they did the blower and it works with the stock converter but now with the stall in, everything needs to be changed. I suppose I could have the lock up tuned out but that defeats the purpose of having this converter.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dick_landy
I have a COAN billet 2800 stall triple disc converter in mine. Currently its going in and out of lock up at steady highway speeds, it wont stay locked. I was told that the problem is Vortech has scaled the engine file when they did the blower and it works with the stock converter but now with the stall in, everything needs to be changed. I suppose I could have the lock up tuned out but that defeats the purpose of having this converter.
There are specific tables and tuning options in HPTuners, probably in other tuning software as well, to allow you to adjust the lockup on the converter. I would not think this would adjust too much of the blower tune, but having a good tuner go through and make some adjustments could more than likely fix your problem.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

The shop working on it uses efi live. They've played around with it a bit but say its a lengthy process to rescale everything. Like I say, I'm not up to speed on the tuning.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dick_landy
The shop working on it uses efi live. They've played around with it a bit but say its a lengthy process to rescale everything. Like I say, I'm not up to speed on the tuning.
I would assume EFI Live tables are similar to HPT's. There is no scaling required for lockup. It is basically a TPS vs GEAR table. They should be able to simply move the TPS value up or down slightly to accommodate your normal cruising speeds. I can take screenshots of these tables in HPT if you would like, but they won't do you any good since you aren't the one tuning.

I run a Circle D 3400. Call Chris and he'll hook you up for 1100 or so.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why would I spend $1100 when I already have a triple disc?

I found this thread, the guy had the exact same issue and resolved it. I'm going to give it a shot.

6L80E TCC Lockup Questions - HP Tuners Bulletin Board

Quick Reply: 6l80 guys with a stall