Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Ride

I am getting close to where I can get some air bags for my truck, and I have been thoughorly reading most of the truck magazines while I am layed off here. The one I can not get any info on is what is a good bag, and what is a good bag height to set one up at for a truck?

I know Firestone, Slam Specialties, AVS, Air Ride all have various bags for all about the same prices.

Air Rides talks alot of game if you will, but I've seen the other places run there mouths too.

I plan to use 7 inch bags front and rear, and KYB gas adjust on all 4 corners. So any info on ride quality would be nice too as I don't want to bounce around either.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 PM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you want to do a air bag lift?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

No I am aiming for more of an 5-7 drop

With the rear being some sort of 2-link so I can return to stock to sell easier, and I won't be driven the truck to spiritedly so the 2-link won't show its weakness.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

im a bigg fan of slam bag like the RE-7's air ride's "dominator" in decent. but i have some friends that have had issues, we all have seemed to have the best luck with slam bags.

i had firestone 2600's on my jeep, yes i said jeep lol i bagged a 00 grand cherokee, but the firestones rubber would come loose from the steel and cause a hugee leak.

as for air management and tanks and compressors ect. i would co with around a 8 gallon tank and like 2 Viair 380c's or 2 480's for a quick fill time and a 175psi turn on and 200 off pressure switch for the tank

check out suicidedoors.com they have basically everything you'll need

deff go with a universal 4 link. build it to our truck as for i dont think anyone has a bolt on kit for your app. yet. but if you just call them they can help you just tell them what your looking to do and they will steer you the right direction on what all you'll need
Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can't go wrong with Slam Specialties bags. I'd recommend them to anyone as I've had great luck with mine.

As far as air ride, it isn't really worth it if you only want a 5/7 drop. A 5/7 isn't very low on the GMT900 trucks so you'd be better off with a static drop. If you are set on bags, then I'd recommend the Kelderman front kit for a bolt in setup or the Ektensive front kit for the best setup. Forget about the 2-link you have in mind and go straight to a 4-link. Also, prepare to spend $1-2K on air management parts alone if you really want a nice setup.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Regular

I want the air ride since this is my work truck, and I wanna run low. A static drop even with helper bags can leave my front end on the short end.

I'm not completely sold on the 2-link, but it is easier to turn back to "stock" since the 4-link requires cutting the frame bracket off, and leveling the section off a touch. And many people run them around here, and if you accept that it won't be a corner carver they work great. Also a Parraell 4-link is only slighlty better becouse of its lack pinion angle gain. Either way a quad shock set-up would keep the rear end in check better. I really want a proper 4-link but all the re-locating is not worth it to me since I need my spare tire, bed for work, and a 3-link just won't work either becouse of the fuel tank. I am a magnet for nails in the road, and thus need my spare quite often so the fuel tank won't go there.

I also figure I'll go with nitrogen, and a autoleveling system to keep it simple. I don't plan to lay frame or bump it. I just wanna run low and lift up a tad for heavy hauls.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Launching!

ANY rear end setup you go with that is lower than 5" or so in the back is going to require "cutting". Skip the 2-link and do it correctly the first time, go with a 4 link - I'm speaking from experience here. 2-links suck.

Air Ride does not make anything for the NNBS trucks yet, to my knowledge. Ekstensive makes a front end kit that will cut the fabrication to a minimum, but it's not quite a "bolt-on".