Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

anybody been back to dealer after programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technically any modification will void your warranty. I work in parts/service at a Suzuki/Kawasaki Motorcycle shop. If you had motor problems i.e. trucks smoking, and you had a K&N, they could deny you coverage because the K&N flows more air. That air would obviously have bigger particles which could lead to the rings burning up. It's in your warranty contract.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Stangkilr. If someone came up to me and said they just loss all power all of sudden. I asked them if they have ever taken it in deep mud or if they might have got some mud or water in the intake and they say "No, that things never even seen the mud." Everything looks clean outside. Car wash can do wonders as long as you don't let the mud set on something. Then we pull the airbox off and there is mud everywhere and the rings are stuck in the cylinder and about 1/4 chuck is missing off one of the pistons. Obviously there is something wrong here. So we are going to instantly deny it. Now lets say that same person came out front and said "Yeah man, I think I might have, can you see what you guys can do. I can even chip in some money if you guys can work your magic." I don't understand people that try and lie. Just be honest. I wonder if everyone was honest when they brought their stuff for stuff like this, where GM would be. Probably in a better spot then they are in right now. Just be honest man. You screwed it up. You should have to pay for it. Just my $.02.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

well i didnt screw it up, ya i put more power but it actually helps the motor bc its got the right fuel air mixture which is all i can do with my programmer.. i can not adjust any tcm (transmission controls) on my truck! so your saying if i put a muffler on and my tranny went out thats my fault its messed up??? and my tranny shifts and drives fine but its seeping fluid not LEAKING on the ground i just wana have it looked at as it prolly need either a converter thats leakin slowly (and i have seen that happen b4) or a front pump or seal! Would be totally different story if i had a cam and heads and all this power wth a stock tranny then yes i would agree 100% with you but in this case not just bc its me but i dont agree totally with that.. and if any modification can void warranty why does GM offer performance parts?? like a cold air and exhaust?? to me if they offer one they can not void your warranty bc they sell a product that has the same feature as another brand.. JMO
Old 04-06-2010, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

I went back to dealer after my edge programmer. They just told me to make sure to go stock then put 50 miles at least on the truck. I went for tranny work. When I had my onstar they sent me a email right after I put my edge on and it said they noticed a pcm change.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ssierra08
When I had my onstar they sent me a email right after I put my edge on and it said they noticed a pcm change.
wow really? what did the email say in particular..?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

I will say that anything 07+ has a new rule. If you smoke a motor under warranty GM sends an inspector on every single one and takes a snap shot
of your pcm. If it has any aftermarket programming on it they can and will not
cover it. Its got nothing to do with the dealership at that time, the call comes from the top.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stangkilr
I will say that anything 07+ has a new rule. If you smoke a motor under warranty GM sends an inspector on every single one and takes a snap shot
of your pcm. If it has any aftermarket programming on it they can and will not
cover it. Its got nothing to do with the dealership at that time, the call comes from the top.
Just motor, or does the trans fall under that same procedure? And say I had two pcms (stock and tuned), would it show up as anything other than a battery disconnect?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Preston129
Just motor, or does the trans fall under that same procedure? And say I had two pcms (stock and tuned), would it show up as anything other than a battery disconnect?
Any "Hard Part" Motor/Trans both.

As for "Any Mod" voiding completely voiding your warranty that is not true. This is prevented by the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975. The warranty work can only be refused if the failure imposed was a direct result of the modification.
Dropping an air filter in your vehicle can not void warranty work just because the engine is seeing more air. These trucks are Computer Driven. If it sees more air the PCM Compensates.
A programmer CAN allow you to change PCM parameters which can contribute to engine/transmission failure and they have the right to refuse warranty work when such devise is detected.
A programmer however has absolutely nothing to do with wheel bearings. If you're wheel bearings are going out they can't refuse warranty work on it just because you have a programmer. that would be illegal.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's crazy what everyone knows, but seems to always be something that happened to a friend.
A couple of months back, I smoked a transmission (suprise). Took it to the shop with long tubes and ory installed, and the tune still in the PCM. Few days later went and picked my truck up with rebuilt/new trans. No questions were ask, and haven't had any problems since.

Wonder why they didn't void my warranty? Hmmm

maybe just maybe because they could not PROVE those mods caused the failure. Chevy builds a great truck IMO, but a shitty transmission. Had they never replaced a 4l60 on an un-modded truck, they'd have an argument. But they've replaced them on totaly stock trucks. So they can't prove. Programer etc caused the failure.

Search magnuson moss. I don't care what their contract says, they CANNOT deny warranty unless they can PROVE the mod in question caused the failure
Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my dealership is cool about it. They even sell Hypertechs in the parts department.LOL. They used to love for my truck to come in, they liked the exhaust on it and the little test rides they got to do. Never denied any work, never given an attitude for a custom tune, longtubes and no cats. Always polite. Hell, they even replaced my power steering pump, reservoir, and steering rack 15,000 miles out of warranty, didnt cost me a dime.