Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Anyone running a Hooker Aerochamber? Does it drone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running a Hooker Aerochamber? Does it drone?

I ran Corsa on my SS until a baffle broke inside the muffler causing a horrible rattle. Corsa would not replace and I welded in a Hooker Aerochamber. For $80 I was very impressed with the Hooker. Very deep, no drone and loud at WOT. Docile at low rpms. This was with a H/C setup, LT's HF Cats, Hooker.

I am thinking about changing the exhaust on the Sierra and am considering a Hooker Aerochamber or a GMPP Performance catback that I can get a really good deal on. I have searched and found the GMPP seems to drone on the highway, I don't want that. I was wondering if anyone knows of the Hooker has any drone? That's a big selling point to their Aerochamber mufflers.

I really like the GMPP and Corsa Touring sound but can't let myself pay that much for just sound.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't help, avatar, baaaaaaaaoobiesssssssss
Old 01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyway, i am a humouguous (however you spell it) fan of magnaflow, that is the one i am going to use, not sure about drone though.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I had alittle bit drone on my ext cab 01 with the lt's and hooker. There is a thread on here somewhere that gives you a fix to muffler drone by welding on extra pipe. Interesting thread.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a **** ton of drone with my setup which is pacesetter long tubes, ypipe and a 3" hooker aerochamber dumped. That's mostly because my truck is so low and the exhaust setup though.

I have a corsa touring setup I'm ready to throw in here soon.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

I've got one, here is my setup (stock manifolds). Single 3" pipe from the reducer back, dumped right at the end of the spare tire. My muffler is 22" long I think, it's the longest they had. It drones about 1400-1500 rpm, mostly uphill. Drone is one thing I was looking to stay away from, and with this setup it's not bad at all.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

with my setup i dont have much of any. TRXMXZX with his set up TR220, milled heads, he will have drone at 65-70. it is almost dead silent at 75-80. we have the same exact exhaust setup too(headers, muffler, pipe config). his truck is just way louder then mine. but its also lower.. i dont know..
Old 01-17-2009, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
I have searched and found the GMPP seems to drone on the highway, I don't want that.

My Sport GMPP does not seem to drone. I is really quiet at cruise with no load. Most of the roads here in Phoenix are flat. You can hear in switch between V8 and V4. Kinda different sound but you get used to it. I had a 5.0 liter Mustang GT with MAC mufflers. That was drone. It drove me insane.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys for the input. Sounds like I may have to weld one it. If I don't like it I can swap the stock muffler back in.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
Thanks guys for the input. Sounds like I may have to weld one it. If I don't like it I can swap the stock muffler back in.
i think a lot of it has to do with what RPMs your at when your crusing. my dad has a 2500HD (4.10, 80E) at 70-75mph his dual magnaflos drone like crazy. but his RPMs are in the 2500 range. if you bring the RPMs down some the drone is harder to notice.

you will like the muffler. mine has a nice tone to it at cruise and idle but sings nicely at WOT. mine aslo has almost no rasp, where as TRXMXZX has a ton when you getting on it at half throttle. it really just depends on the setup.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a Hooker Aerochamber? Does it drone?