Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Borla Review/Kudos

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Review/Kudos

I finally decided to ditch the stock exhaust on my 07 VMax. After much searching and head-scratching, I decided on the Borla p/n 140231 (Dual, split rear). It only comes with the Touring muffler, which was fine as I wanted a performance sound without being totally uncivilized.

Impressions:
Quality is top-notch. Obviously the price is high compared to some other brands out there, but the quality and workmanship was evident. This continued when I put it on, as all the slip joints were perfect, the pipes lined up perfectly, and very little tweaking/adjusting was needed. Honestly it probably took longer to get the old one off than to install the Borla.

Sound is great, quiet at idle with a more "bass" sound and rumble. fairly quiet at low throttle cruise. Deeper throttle gives a good stout performance growl. WOT is awesome. Nowhere has it droned or resonated. Yes, you definitely hear it where you wouldn't have heard the stocker (freeway at tip-in, going up hills on a country rd) but it never droned the way some others have where I felt like I needed an Advil.

The system looks great. The tips (to me) are perfect, the size is big enough not to look small against the large square rear of the truck, but not big enough to look like something on a Honda Civic "racer".

The only issue I had was a simple mistake by Borla in which the mid-pipe flange was female, mating to the female factory Y-pipe (the stock mid-pipe has a bead that seals against the inside bore of the Y-pipe at the two-bolt flange). I didn't catch it until after the system was mocked up and my stock system was already cut off. In order to get by, I used some hi-temp silicone and a gasket from a 2003-older 2500 flange. This is where things get good. I called Borla today, thinking that they were going to say "you're truck must be strange as that's not normal" or "sorry you already installed it." Instead, they immediately volunteered to have me send some pics for their reference to the issue, and to build me a replacement mid-pipe and ship it to me. They even let me keep the current one until the replacement is here so my truck's not down. Awesome service!

To me, companies are going to make mistakes, Part of the deal. But its how they treat a customer in response that it critical. This concern for their customer just guaranteed a customer for life, and one who will share that opinion forever. Just wanted to pass along.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets get a video!