Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texasglock23
to the cal speeds? or stainless? or?
xx2 does he mean like to the surface ?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

I will have to find the picture again but Roger had a couple pics of a set of Cal speed headers and what the winter and road salt did to them up here
Old 06-08-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
I will have to find the picture again but Roger had a couple pics of a set of Cal speed headers and what the winter and road salt did to them up here
Please do find the pics. i live in MN and have similar conditions for salt and snow, i went with the ARH for this reason and for quality. Not saying I didnt consider the Cal-speed 1 7/8" because I definately did for the cost, but they dont have a 4x4 model yet. One thing to combat this issue and what I intended to do (with cost difference between ARH and Cal-speed) if I went cal-speed route was to have them ceramic coated to prevent the winter elements destroying them. Anyone have experience with header wrap in winter conditions? Would that help the header longevity? Sorry to change the purpose of the thread from fitment to product quality. Just a consideration if quality is one of your concerns.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by shaw_426hemi
Please do find the pics. i live in MN and have similar conditions for salt and snow, i went with the ARH for this reason and for quality. Not saying I didnt consider the Cal-speed 1 7/8" because I definately did for the cost, but they dont have a 4x4 model yet. One thing to combat this issue and what I intended to do (with cost difference between ARH and Cal-speed) if I went cal-speed route was to have them ceramic coated to prevent the winter elements destroying them. Anyone have experience with header wrap in winter conditions? Would that help the header longevity? Sorry to change the purpose of the thread from fitment to product quality. Just a consideration if quality is one of your concerns.
Yea I don't have any first hand experience but I know what the roads and grime up here will do to vehicles and I know the ARH on Rogers truck look like the day he bought them and they have been through quite a few winters up here.

I would advise against the wrap since if it gets moisture or anything in there it's going to be like a rain forest with all the heating and cooling and reek havoc on them.

Ill browse his Photobucket.. I think he has a picture in there.

And also I am 4x4 so that's the other reason I am steering away from Calspeed.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last time I put headers on a truck I had them coated and they were great. Some manufacturers will tell you they'll void the header warranty if you use a wrap, I don't know about Cal-Speed.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:47 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Andy, I think you're getting CRS in your old age.

I showed you pics of coated Pacesetters rusting out after 2 years of Alaska. I don't know of anybody up here with Calspeed headers. Probably because almost everything up here is 4x4.....
Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Andy, I think you're getting CRS in your old age.

I showed you pics of coated Pacesetters rusting out after 2 years of Alaska. I don't know of anybody up here with Calspeed headers. Probably because almost everything up here is 4x4.....
Ripe old age of 29..

And thinking about it I think you are exactly right. After my second post I questioned if it was Calspeed or Pacesetters..

My bad.. got a little mixed up.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Last time I put headers on a truck I had them coated and they were great. Some manufacturers will tell you they'll void the header warranty if you use a wrap, I don't know about Cal-Speed.
You have me wondering if my ARH should be ceramic coated? Does it really cut down on heat in the engine bay significantly?

I think (could be completely wrong) if anyone is 2WD and determines Cal-speed is the way to go and they live in a winter climate or plan to do ORY themselves to make them fit a 4x4 (if possible) I would suggest they seriously seriously consider ceramic coating them even if they are stainless. I had high temp painted and baked LTs on my 350 jimmy. Paint took a beating from the salt and winter and i ended up with headers that looked worse than stock mantifolds in terms of rust. They were not stainless of course, but if i did it over i would have had them coated and not worried about it.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shaw_426hemi
Does it really cut down on heat in the engine bay significantly?
I had ceramic coated headers on a 454 and they made a HUGE difference from the cast iron factory manifolds. I've seen tests in magazines also where they showed a big reduction in header surface temp and underhood air temp.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Ive got a set of 2wd 1 7/8 headers from calspeed, and only issue i had was a little rub on the fitment. But you get what you pay for. Im not disappointed though..

Quick Reply: Cal-speed headers