Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Can Someone Clarify Tire Pressure Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can Someone Clarify Tire Pressure Sensors?

I got some useful information from a search I did, but I still have some "noob" questions about the whole deal.

I know this doesn't work...correct?:
you can reset the check tire pressure light by letting air out of each tire individually until you hear a beep. then refill to proper air pressure
tire sensor tool
Whats this?

So the sensors are actually little small screws that are in the valve stems?

When I bought my truck it didnt have factory wheels on it AND my Low Tire Pressure code is thrown ( annoying ). So if I just ordered new wheels,tires, and sensors Ill be on the road to getting the code back off?

I also see that people are just taking them to there local GM dealership to get the codes off once everything is installed?

Sorry for all the questions, but the search only came back with like 4 threads when I used the keyword " Tire pressure sensor " lol
Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it to a local dealer they charged me 25 bucks to program them but they are valve stems with a rectangle shape sensor that screws on sensor goes behind the wheel then the valve stem screws on and holds the sensor
Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

So I just ordered some sensors. Which part of the equation did I just buy?

There's 2 different things that have to be bought then?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

they come together part # 20923680
Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the sensors are plastic and fasten to the bottom of the valve stem, they're about 2"x1". the chevys have a mostly normal looking rubber valve stem with a brass inner section that the sensor attaches to with a small fine thread machine screw...the sensor is the expensive part, the other part is simply the special valve stem that the sensor can attach to which should be cheap. the letting air out trick works on the older GM vehicles that don't have position specific sensors, i don't know if it this works on the newer ones that have programmed positions for each sensor. the shop i work at uses a TPMS tool which communicates with each sensor and programs it to its location and to the vehicle the tires are on. hope this helps some.

EDIT: ^62nalide, yes the sensors often do come with the stem but i have seen them sold separately...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DR132
the sensors are plastic and fasten to the bottom of the valve stem, they're about 2"x1". the chevys have a mostly normal looking rubber valve stem with a brass inner section that the sensor attaches to with a small fine thread machine screw...the sensor is the expensive part, the other part is simply the special valve stem that the sensor can attach to which should be cheap. the letting air out trick works on the older GM vehicles that don't have position specific sensors, i don't know if it this works on the newer ones that have programmed positions for each sensor. the shop i work at uses a TPMS tool which communicates with each sensor and programs it to its location and to the vehicle the tires are on. hope this helps some.

EDIT: ^62nalide, yes the sensors often do come with the stem but i have seen them sold separately...
I see thanks for the info didnt know they can be sold separately the part # above came with both parts im sure if he ordered that part # he is good i hope
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

discount tire will program them for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all you need is to have sensors in the wheels. if you have them in the wheels all you need is to read the owner's manual, there is all instructions you need. The reset procedure to be used after a tire rotation is the only thing you need to do to learn new/ repositioned sensors. You do a sequence inside the truck to enter programming mode then start letting air out as directed. When done refill tires to proper pressure and you are done.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick™
all you need is to have sensors in the wheels. if you have them in the wheels all you need is to read the owner's manual, there is all instructions you need. The reset procedure to be used after a tire rotation is the only thing you need to do to learn new/ repositioned sensors. You do a sequence inside the truck to enter programming mode then start letting air out as directed. When done refill tires to proper pressure and you are done.
I just did this process on our G8 and it worked great. Took about 5 minutes to complete, including refilling the tires.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Ive read on multiple threads that this procedure didnt work and they had to go to their local GM dealer. Were they all doing it wrong? Does it make a different on which year/model its on? Im seeing conflicting answers

Quick Reply: Can Someone Clarify Tire Pressure Sensors?