Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter

Next stage of the truck is finished up. Just got a 2600-2800 Circle D converter and billet flexplate installed last night (also found a failed rear main seal). VERY happy with the converter purchase though and recommend other GMT900 guys consider CircleD as well if looking for a converter.

During normal driving with light throttle the truck feels like stock, but lay into it some and it wakes up very nicely. Only problem now is that from a dig on the street I am spinning the AWD through 1st gear. I have the tune setup to lockup the converter in 3rd and 4th under WOT which feels almost like 2 shifts back to back but when the converter locks the mph gets a very nice boost. I haven't had a chance to make a full 1/4 mile pull yet, but will try to make it back to the track in early March. Hoping I can get some traction with the 22's and see a time somewhere in the 12.6 or 12.5 range. Need to start looking at some 18" wheel and drag radial options I think.

Also made some transmission tune adjustments based on the Tuning Schools HpTuners manual and it appears to have resolved my shift point issues which have plagued the truck for the past month or two.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bdubb
... from a dig on the street I am spinning the AWD through 1st gear.
Holy crap! Sounds awesome, now go buy a good video camera for us.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bdubb
Next stage of the truck is finished up. Just got a 2600-2800 Circle D converter and billet flexplate installed last night (also found a failed rear main seal). VERY happy with the converter purchase though and recommend other GMT900 guys consider CircleD as well if looking for a converter.

During normal driving with light throttle the truck feels like stock, but lay into it some and it wakes up very nicely. Only problem now is that from a dig on the street I am spinning the AWD through 1st gear. I have the tune setup to lockup the converter in 3rd and 4th under WOT which feels almost like 2 shifts back to back but when the converter locks the mph gets a very nice boost. I haven't had a chance to make a full 1/4 mile pull yet, but will try to make it back to the track in early March. Hoping I can get some traction with the 22's and see a time somewhere in the 12.6 or 12.5 range. Need to start looking at some 18" wheel and drag radial options I think.

Also made some transmission tune adjustments based on the Tuning Schools HpTuners manual and it appears to have resolved my shift point issues which have plagued the truck for the past month or two.

Circle D is what I put in my TBSS. VERY pleased with it and will be putting one in the DD as well.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NKPPhil
Holy crap! Sounds awesome, now go buy a good video camera for us.
Doubt it looks too impressive, but I'll see if I can get someone to help out with this. From inside the cab I can just feel it slipping the rears then catching as the fronts slips and back and forth. Kind of a pulsating type thing. Nothing with tire smoke and flames just yet.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might be able to try to make it to the track tonight for some test and tune, but not too sure the times will be all that great with the 20mph headwind we'd have tonight. If so, I'll get some video of what I can.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pirate3
Circle D is what I put in my TBSS. VERY pleased with it and will be putting one in the DD as well.
Which converter did you go with?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NightmareTBSS
Which converter did you go with?
It is a 265mm multi set at 2600-2800rpm

edit: Sorry I thought you were asking me, but I'll leave this info up for others curious about the one in my truck versus the TBSS one.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice.. I just got my 278mm 3200ish circle D.

Not to hijack the thread but I have a quick question. Im getting my cam put in a week after I do my converter and doing all the tuning the day after the swap. Would it be ok/safe to drive softly for a week on that converter and the efi live tune thats already in my truck? (Not tuned for a converter)??
Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Nice!

In for times at track.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NightmareTBSS
Nice.. I just got my 278mm 3200ish circle D.

Not to hijack the thread but I have a quick question. Im getting my cam put in a week after I do my converter and doing all the tuning the day after the swap. Would it be ok/safe to drive softly for a week on that converter and the efi live tune thats already in my truck? (Not tuned for a converter)??
I'd run it by Chris at Circle D. To my understanding you will need to zero out your desired slip otherwise you'll get a surging effect while driving as the converter fights itself.

Quick Reply: Converter