Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

converter install then popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whats the gap between the converter and flexplate when you installed it? did the tranmission go back to the block easy or did you use the bolts to make it go back? did the converter make 2 clunks that is all the way on. did the converter snout go into the crank smooth? also check all the bolts in the converter. honestly the converter wont make the drivehshaft shake. i cant see exhaust shaking the steering wheel. exhaust has nothing to do with the steering.

why you didnt mention this yesterday when we was texting about it?

its hard to determine this without seeing the truck in person.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything went on fine. All 3 converter bolts were tight with locktite. It really is hard to explain over the forums. I might bring it to gerry lane today and see if they can figure it out. lol I do alot of business with them so i'm sure they can help me out. Oh yea and i didnt not use the bolts to make it go back. I know the converter is installed right because i'm driving it back and forth to work and everything is working fine besides that damn noise under the dash.. lol
Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats why i cant understand. look into the exhaust part of it. if i was able to come look at i would man.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

#PIT4505C: Rattle Buzz Tick Noise From Front Of Dash - keywords accel bulkhead compartment engine hood I/P IP knock rpm stop under vibration - (Mar 29, 2010)

Subject: Rattle Buzz Tick Noise From Front Of Dash

Models: 2007-2010 Cadillac Escalade Models

2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2010 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT4505B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment on a rattle, buzz, tick, or vibration type noise that appears to be coming from the center of the dash. Root cause may be the transmission dipstick tube contacting the front of dash (cowl). If the transmission dipstick tube is too far rearward, it will contact the front of dash and vibrate, buzz, etc. causing the noise to sound like it is inside the dash area.

Recommendation/Instructions:
To correct this concern adjust/bend the transmission dipstick tube away from the front of dash/cowl to provide additional clearance.

Note: When inspecting or adjusting the transmission dipstick tube it may appear to have enough clearance with the vehicle stopped. Verify that there is enough clearance to allow for powertrain movement during acceleration and deceleration. Inspect for contact while shifting between drive and reverse.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
or maybe....

#PIT4979: Buzz Rattle Noise During Accel (Reposition Fuel Line Bracket) - keywords 1300 1400 1500 1600 body brake carrier case console dash engine HVAC I/P IPC light RPM support under underbody - (Feb 1, 2010)

Subject: Buzz Rattle Noise During Accel (Reposition Fuel Line Bracket)

Models: 2008-2010 Escalade Models

2008-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2008-2010 GMC Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some owners may comment of a buzz or rattle type noise during light acceleration around 1200-1700 RPM's. The noise may sound like it is coming from behind the instrument panel. This noise could be caused by the fuel line bracket above the transmission, contacting the floor pan.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Reposition the fuel line bracket down away from the floor pan.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Of all the noise related TSBs, these two made the most sense based on your description and the work you have recently done. Not sure how it relates to the steering wheel vibration though. Do you have any lights on the dash(CEL)?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

they both sound right.. I will check both when i get off of work today and no i dont have any lights on..
Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep us posted. I also see a number of knee bolsters(trim panel below the steering wheel) come through the shop because of a rattle noise. This could amplify the noise from a vibration caused by one of the above problems. I want to wager what your feeling in the steering wheel is a vibration that is traveling through the frame and body but not directly connected to the steering system because I can't link the symptoms in my head any other way.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
Keep us posted.......I can't link the symptoms in my head any other way.
Well stated.. That is what i like to see.. Facts. Seems you may have more access to documentation than the rest of us here??
Old 11-16-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you sir.....perhaps more than some but less than others...

Last edited by Robert91RS; 11-16-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

I sure will! If i can't figure it out tonight I'm bringing it to the dealership in the morning.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So what happened, did you found the problem? I will be installing my TC next week just want to see on what to be careful

Quick Reply: converter install then popping noise