Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Denali 6.2l going for ported heads need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denali 6.2l going for ported heads need advice

After instaling LT ,CAI and tuning ,i am going for ported heads so what do u guys advice me with heads ,i have done some search and this is what i came with
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C40
http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=697
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...t.phtml?p=1536
Old 12-23-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

All three of those companys are good. It would be hard to say who does the best porting on the stock L92 head, because each one uses a different set of cam specs in the tests I've seen - Livernois doesn't use a big split in duration between intake and exhaust like most other's, Lingenfelter tends to use lots of lift and less duration and Texas speed tends to use *****-out cam specs, so it hard to say who does the best head. Any of the three would do I think.
However, it would be a waste of money IMHO to buy ported heads if you are going to keep the stock cam. The heads are the best part of the whole L92 package and the stock cam is seriously undersized for the heads.The stock L92 head flow numbers are good for about 600HP, at least in theory. If you are going to change the heads, you will probably only see a significant gain in power if you change the cam also.
I would recommend that you change the cam. There is lots of debate about whether the retaining the VVT is worth anything in the L92, but I think it is worth it because it allows the cam to be phased for maximum torque at low to mid RPMs and extends the RPM range. I have a VVT cam from Mast, which really pissed me off at first because I couldn't get it tuned right and Mast wasn't helpful at all. I'm getting there with the tune now and this cam will pull hard straight to the limiter at 7100RPM (I have it set to shift at 6700, but hit the limiter a couple of times when I was trying to nail down the shift speeds).
As far as I know, only Comp and Mast are making VVT cams now. They each have like 4 different grinds ranging from fairly mild to pretty rough idle.
If you want to change the cam but retain near stock quality idle, you will want to keep the intake duration under 215 degrees or so @.050" lift. you should be able to pick up 40or so HP and still keep the idle quality decent.
You can also talk to Mast about a head and VVT cam package, provided you can find a good tuner who's familiar with VVT cams or you can spend the time yourself to do the tuning.
Just my 2 cents... Good luck
Old 12-23-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just sent mine to Richard at WCCH! check him out he is a sponsor-->>>>>>
Old 12-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

DIY ftw
Old 12-23-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its a waste to buy ported heads and keek the truck intake as well. The LS3 intake flows why better at higher lift and RPM. This is different form the way it use to be with Gen III intakes. The Car one is way better.

I would do some reading on LS1tech about the differences. I am to lazy to look for the thread listing the numbers between the two.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

CI DENALI ,thanks for taking the time to reply on this thread ,every time i finished a project on my car i gain some hp so i look for next ,the thing is not only hp or $$$ it is all about gaining hp & tq with less $$$ this what i think is the success of performance so what i understood from you is that ported heads with stock cam will not give me what i accept but you Recommended me to go with a cam ,for me i like the cam set up but i hate that hard rev and the next problem is that i am locating outside US so i dont think the tuner guys in my area have much experience in vvt tuning.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

wot whereabouts are u?? come up to kuwait and buy my tvs1900 i'll tune it in right for ya
Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by norris_83
wot whereabouts are u?? come up to kuwait and buy my tvs1900 i'll tune it in right for ya
Nice 2 see u here ,2300 tvs will be my choice
Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wot_denali
CI DENALI ,thanks for taking the time to reply on this thread ,every time i finished a project on my car i gain some hp so i look for next ,the thing is not only hp or $$$ it is all about gaining hp & tq with less $$$ this what i think is the success of performance so what i understood from you is that ported heads with stock cam will not give me what i accept but you Recommended me to go with a cam ,for me i like the cam set up but i hate that hard rev and the next problem is that i am locating outside US so i dont think the tuner guys in my area have much experience in vvt tuning.
No Prob. I live outside the US as well, so I know what you mean about the difficulty in getting it tuned properly. I do believe however, that there are people out there that can do a "mail-order" tune that would get you very close to optimum. I would check with Wheatley - he did a tune for me on the stock motor (with CAI) and it really woke her up.
As for the VVT, from what I've learnt, most leave the VVT curve at stock settings and simply tune the VVE and spark tables and reduce torque management. I honestly can't say that the custom VVT curve that I have works any better than the stock curve, but one of these days, when I can get to a test and tune session, I intend to test it and will report the results. The complicated thing is that when you change the VVT table, you have spark and fuel multipliers that are based on (among other things) VVT/cam phasing, and if you just change the VVT table, you will throw the spark and fuel curves off. However, I feel that I'm getting closer to optimum with the tweaking we are doing on my truck now. Believe it or not, the hardest thing to nail down was the friggin idle tuning!
The best part is the sound this cam has, it doesn't spit and surge, just has a aggressive sound to it - and it pulls like a bitch up top now. A couple of weeks ago, I loaned it to my girlfriend and she beat the crap out of one of her friends with a Porsche Cayman S!
I think that when I sort my truck out after I upgrade to a ported L92 manifold and a 97mm DBX MAF, it will run in the low 8's in the 1/8, and I'm shooting for a 7.6 on the spray, if i can get some traction!
Then, maybe, I might upgrade the heads...